Monday, May 14, 2018

"Don’t wait. Make memories today. Celebrate your life!" ~ unknown

It's Monday, May 14, 2018. Welcome back. This is where I do my best to share my version of 'where the rubber meets the road'. That phrase is typically used to emphasize the actual implementation or application of ideas, concepts, and visions. I suppose here at the ole blogger ranch, my usage has to do with life. The earliest use to be found is from a newspaper article from 1956. The writer was talking about what it takes to become successful in advertising for radio and TV. Here's the quote from the article: "How much is it going to cost? Let's get down to where the rubber meets the road." I'm preparing a lesson for next Sunday on what the Bible teaches regarding giving. The text has to do with financial giving, but, actually, the issue does have to do more generically with the condition of the heart, as in the adage, 'the heart of the matter is a matter of the heart'. One thing that social media does is make everyone aware of opportunities to donate to worthy causes. It's overwhelming. These appeals are everywhere. Many are either posted by or supported by dear friends. There's no way that we could support them all. No way. In addition, we have constantly before us the needs of our local fellowship of believers, of missionaries, or other outreach ministries. The internet, Facebook, Twitter, Emails, and other social media utilities are inundated with these stories along with requests for funding help. That's where the rubber meets the road for those in need. The majority of these are clearly legit, so much so, I feel torn in not being able to respond to as many as I would like to. If only. That reminds me of a fellow who told me once that he was so burdened by this great need in the Church we were in at the time, he wished the Lord would let him win the lottery so he could take care of that need. I couldn't help myself so I blurted out, "God doesn't really care about what you would do with something you don't have, He is concerned with what you are doing with what you do have."  Thanks. I needed that. Or, at least I think I did.

Sometimes when I have a few minutes I like to read from one of the reprinted newspapers that are historical in nature. The other day I was reading from the front page of the Washington D. C. 'The Evening Star', dated August 14, 1945. That particular edition was heralding the surrender of Japan and the end of World War II. (That photo is of the actual newspaper.) It was a special edition of twelve pages. I've looked through it a number of times. However, there is a small article on the front page that I had not noticed before. ~ The bolded title from this Associated Press article said this, "Private Falls to Death At Peace Celebration" followed by this notice: DENVER, Aug. 14 -- A 25 year-old soldier was killed in a fall from a third-story hotel room early today during a peace celebration. The victim was Pvt. Allan A. Allison of Youngstown, Ohio, stations at Lowery Field. Detective L.C. Sawyer said a fist fight preceded Allison's fall and that Geron Shelton, 24, of Temple, Texas, a veteran of this war was arrested for investigation. ~ Looking on the internet, I was able to find the grave marker for Private Allison. I also found an obscure record of the testimony of Detective L. C. Sawyer in an unrelated case. I also think I found the information on Geron Shelton. Right age and location in Texas, he lived to be 78 years old. I just thought it was interesting how he got involved in a fistfight at a peace celebration and ended up dead. Life. It can be hard to figure out.

I don't know why but those kinds of things strike me as being relevant in our never knowing what a day might bring. It may be a small thing but I never leave for work without kissing my wife and telling her I love her. Some might say that's a silly routine, but, for me, it does recognize the fragility of life. We just never know. I'm guessing that Private Allison, wearing the uniform of his country, and now excited about the prospects of the end of a long protracted war, never thought his showing up for the peace celebration in Denver, Colorado would lead to his death. My point? If you have something you want to say to someone, don't wait. If you have something you want to do for someone, don't wait. If you know you need to get things right with God, don't wait. I read enough news stories and obituaries to know that every day brings unexpected consequences, some of them fatal, to unsuspecting people. I thought about these things when I read that little notice. That's why I shared it with you today. Nothing more than that. Here's an interesting observation from Kathy Reichs, an American Forensics Anthropologist and Crime Writer, "My line of work makes you aware of the fragility of life. You can get up in the morning, eat your cornflakes, blow-dry your hair, go to work and end up dead." With that happy thought, I commend us all to the loving care of our Heavenly Father. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: