Thursday, May 24, 2018

Here's my serving up of my cornucopia of discombobulated thoughts, recollections, and ideas for today. Enjoy.

Okay. Today is Thursday, May 24, 2018, and I am going to do my best to slow down the fingers somewhat so that my daily visit will be a wee bit shorter. Just think. I used to write my episodes out by hand and then type them in. I can't remember exactly why I did them that way but I do believe going from my noggin to the keyboard is more efficient. I didn't say it produced better results but it does seem to make better use of my time. I have been thinking some about the upcoming Memorial Day holiday. We are not planning a trip but perhaps we can come up with something to do for my three-day hiatus. Sorry, but the first thing I thought of was sleep. I always think about getting extra sleep, but, at my age, when your bones become very noisy after being laid up for a few hours, well, they typically win and the best intentions don't always work out. My grandfather used to say this about us kids when we slept late: "Y'all were laid up like a bunch of dogs." I'm the only touch typist here in our shop office. Because of that, I can do different types of correspondence when needed. And, it does come in handy when I sit down to do my daily blog. I am well aware how my fingers can do the walking at times without a lot of involvement from my brain, Because of this, I try to remind myself to think. I will be the first to admit that it doesn't always show up very well, but, usually, that's not from a lack of trying. At the same time, I am appreciative for those who tune in.

I am thankful for my doctor. I may joke around about how we interact but he has done a great job of working with me to manage my diabetes. We had a real scare a few months ago when I scored an A1C of 7.2. That was the first time I had ever been out of the sixes. We added an additional medication and my number the other day was 6.3. For those who do not have diabetes, this doesn't mean a lot, but, for those of us that do, well, seeing it adjust down to that extent would be a reason for me to do my happy dance. That is if I had a happy dance. I'm not saying I never danced but the twist craze was the only one in vogue at the time I was doing any swiveling around. Being raised as a fundamental, independent, God-fearing, King James 1611 only, Baptist, well, we were told that dancing should not be something we engaged in. Back in those days, things were quite different than they are today. I don't know why I remember this situation but I do. After my dad passed away we lived for some time with my mom's parents. We had moved from Port Arthur, Texas. One day the pastor of our Church in Port Arthur stopped by to check on mom and the six of us. One problem. Mom was at home, in the house, but she was wearing shorts. That, my friend, was a cardinal sin back in the mid-1950's. I remember that she ran out the back door and hid behind the clothes hanging out on the clothesline. I'm not sure what Granny told the preacher but that's how serious things like that were, back in the day.

My mom used to tell us kids stories to help us to be reminded of what we should and should not do. She did believe in using a switch, (plum tree), to reinforce correction. Before she did the deed she told us about how that she decided one time to run away from her dad, Paw Paw Mac when he was attempting to discipline her. It was nearly dark. She ran but got tangled up in an old apple crate. He caught up with her and she got added licks for running. Her point? Don't even think about running because 'your sin will find you out.' When I talk about how we were taught to behave growing up some think we were brutalized. Really? Because we got the switch? We might have agreed with that sentiment immediately after receiving our punishment. However, we never even thought about it in that way. People disciplined their children back in those days. We were expected to behave ourselves. When we didn't we were held accountable. Most all the kids I grew up with had the same type of experience. There's no doubt that in today's enlightened world what my mom did, may, in fact, today, be called child abuse. In case you haven't noticed, look what a great job we're doing in our enlightened world. I look back at my raising, including the discipline, and I thank God for my mom doing the best she knew how to do to try and instill in us the values of right and wrong. I never even once enjoyed getting the switch. But, I am so thankful for my mom, always and forever. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: