Monday, January 25, 2016

"The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. We carry the seeds of the one or the other about with us in our minds wherever we go." ~ Martha Washington, (1731-1802), the first First Lady of the United States

I am glad to be able to say good morning and welcome for the 2,227th time from here at the old blogger ranch. It's Monday, January 25, 2016, and I'm not ashamed to say that I continue to be a work in progress. My recent diabetic check-up did not go as well as I would have wanted it to. My numbers have been going in the wrong direction for some time now. While they have been slowly changing, the direction is not the one I need to be moving towards. This last blood sugar test that measures an average for the past three months came out the highest I have ever recorded since I was diagnosed. It was 7.0 which is not that alarming for someone my age with diabetes but I've had it as low as 6.2 during this eight year run. I was diagnosed at 6.6. At any rate I have work to do if I am to try and make progress again in this area. I tell you. It's always something. And, I bet it is that way with you and just about anyone else who breathes air on the planet. I would not want anyone to think I am complaining. Because the person who I would be complaining about is none other than me, myself, and I. Excuses? 1. Christmas with all the additional delicacies. 2. Santa appearances with all the hustle and bustle. 3. A three week period of dealing with a serious congestion issue. 4. Stress. (That's always a trump card when all else fails.) My doctor that I think the world of added a written comment on my reading. He can be very astute in his assessments: "Your diabetes is worse. Keep on your medications and pay attention to your diet." I didn't go to medical school but I think I might have come up with that one on my own.

Being fully plugged into the drug culture I dutifully asked if it was time to try out some of those meds that run non-stop on television ads. They promise great results in lowering that important number. He said we would see about next steps after a three month run when he will run the tests again. I am one of those who always got ready for the test either on the night before or the morning of. That is, if I got ready at all. I'm thankful that for most of my life I have had reasonably good recall and never really had to study that much. This next blood test coming up, I'm afraid, is a horse of a different color. I used that saying intentionally. And, yes, I did know that you knew that. While scholars can't be certain they do know that William Shakespeare in 1601 used "a horse of the same colour" in his play 'Twelfth Night' to indicate an agreement of ideas. It is thought that over time this saying became altered and eventually became the modern connotation where it depicts a matter or situation totally different than the one expected. At any rate I will not be able to wait until the night before to assure a good report on my upcoming blood test. I've always thought about this blood test that is able to somehow identify and isolate molecules and use them to project what you have been up to for the past three months to be a little like the Bible verse that says, "Be sure your sins will find you out." (Book of Numbers, Chapter 32, Verse 23)

I am also very much aware how many folks there are who have the same diabetic condition that I have and they would literally be ecstatic if they could get their number down to even being close to a 7.0. That's why this disease calls for individual treatment. I have been super pleased with the medical professionals who have worked with me throughout this process. I will admit to being frustrated from time to time but it is not a one battle oriented situation, it is a non-ending war. I suppose that means I need to get myself geared up, get my war paint on, and get with the program. That is so much easier to write than it is to do. That, I suppose, is why I included excuse number 4, Stress. I think that was one of Elvis' big hits, "I'm All Stressed Out!" Sorry about so much introspection today. It is my blog, therefore, I suppose, regardless of what I write about, I'm still either the observer or the one being observed. Here's a quote from the famous writer Henry David Thoreau where he talks about his writing approach for 'Walden', perhaps his most famous book: “In most books, the I, or first person, is omitted; in this it will be retained; that, in respect to egotism, is the main difference. We commonly do not remember that it is, after all, always the first person that is speaking. I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience. Moreover, I, on my side, require of every writer, first or last, a simple and sincere account of his own life, and not merely what he has heard of other men's lives; some such account as he would send to his kindred from a distant land; for if he has lived sincerely, it must have been in a distant land to me. Perhaps these pages are more particularly addressed to poor students. As for the rest of my readers, they will accept such portions as apply to them. I trust that none will stretch the seams in putting on the coat, for it may do good service to him whom it fits.” I don't know if that explains anything or not but it sounded interesting to me. Take care and may God bless us all as we continue our journey here on the planet. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: