Thursday, January 28, 2016

"By the time a man realizes his father was probably right, he usually has a son who thinks he isn't." ~ Charles Wadsworth



Here we go again. I am glad to have you along as we try to make sense out of this day, Thursday, January 28, 2016. I'm also very happy to report that mom and dad are doing pretty well. One of my nieces had dinner with them last week at a restaurant and she said "they always amaze her with their independence and spunk." I think she nailed it. They have their health challenges and all the stuff that comes with breathing the rarefied air of being advanced in their age, however, I continue to tell everyone that I would not want to try and keep up with dad. Mom tells me that when it is rainy or very cold and he is confined to the house he is pretty much like a caged animal. The other day I visited with him on the phone and he was excited to tell me that he had spent the entire day outside on his mower. His mantra is to keep going and keep active as long as he can. Mom, on the other hand, is more limited due to her physical limitations and now her very significant loss in being able to see. She still keeps up with how many steps she walks and even rode the exercise bike the other day. Lord willing she will be 92 in May and dad will be 86 in August. They are role models in the extreme and all of us who are a part of our huge blended family are so very thankful to God for them. I always make sure to thank God each and every day for giving us our wonderful parents. Amen.

Speaking of us older folks, I saw something for the first time the other day. It was one of the infamous blue haired older ladies driving down the road talking up a storm on her Bluetooth. At least she had both hands on her steering wheel. Why not? I'm convinced this is a better option any day of the week than people trying to type on their smartphone while trying to keep up with the insanity of driving in and around the areas I frequent. Continuing with the age theme, the Denver Broncos are not being given much of a chance in the upcoming Superbowl against the high scoring offense of the Carolina Panthers. Peyton Manning, the Denver quarterback, at 39 will be the oldest quarterback to start a Superbowl game. His adversary calling plays for the Panthers is Cam Newton an up and coming star who will do his thing as a 26 year old. Most of the people in my circle will be pulling for Peyton because of his age, his unbelievable career, and this being what many think will be his last game in the NFL. I watched a lot of the game this past Sunday between Denver and New England but I dared not even think about missing Sunday evening Church. Therefore, since I was at Church early I had our middle son on the phone keeping me posted. I believe that game was one of the best I've seen in recent years. Two future hall of fame quarterbacks going head to head but the defense on both sides were the stars on that particular day. There were so many hard hits in that game I had a headache just from watching. But, that would be me.

I don't know if I shared this little story or not. I may have. I'm not going to take the time to search my blogs to see. If you have seen it, well, you can skip it. Or, maybe you are like some of the rest of us, in that something looks familiar but you can't be sure so you read it anyway. ~ A couple were in a busy shopping center just before Christmas. The husband wandered off as she was standing in line, saying something about being back in a little bit. After getting through the line, the husband wasn't back yet and since they still had more shopping to do, the wife called him on his cellphone. The wife said, "Where are you?" He said, "You remember the jewelers we went into about 10 years ago, and you fell in love with that diamond necklace? I couldn't afford it at the time and I said that one day I would get it for you." Tears started to flow down her cheeks and she got all choked up. "Yes, I do remember that shop," she replied. "Well how to you like that? I just happen to be in the shop right next to that place." ~ No. That was not intended to be a retaliation to all the Hallmark shows that captivate the ladies. But I will tell you how serious it could be. I'm not sure but I have often wondered if one could catch a case of Hallmark-itis just from passing by while it was spewing out all that Ooey Gooey scripted nonsense. I've been told many times by those watching how they know how bad it is but they still enjoy it. If you want to complain, remember I'll be in the little shop next to the jewelry store. You know the one I'm talking about. Go ahead and laugh. It is permitted. Take care and may God bless us, one and all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: