Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Joshua 1:9 ESV "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

"I woke up this morning feeling fine ... I woke up with Heaven on my mind ... I woke up with joy in my soul ... 'Cause I knew my Lord had control" Those old Southern Gospel songs are not a bad way to get our day started. What say you? Welcome once again and it is good to visit with you today on this Wednesday, January 27, 2016. Many of these types of songs are referred to as testimony songs. Often they reflect Bible truths set to memorable tunes. It's okay with me that many prefer different styles of music where God and His truths are represented. I enjoy a wide range of musical presentations. Scriptures set to music are a great way to hear God's Word. I remember a family group we heard once who set Scripture passages to music. They were wonderfully talented people who played multiple instruments including guitars and horns. Their lyrics were 100% quoted from the Bible. Nothing but the Word of God set to different forms of music. It is hard to improve on that. We do know that most of the Psalms were set to music and are songs that made up the hymnbook of ancient Israel. I know some who scoff at the musical preferences of others. I love to hear mountain folk music that present the testimony of God's working in the lives of His people. While this music may be the most authentic in terms of the history of our nation, there are many who think it to be quaint, whiny, and essentially not worth their time. They like contemporary sounds and believe that to be the best form of spiritual praise. Others think only the great hymns of the Church are appropriate. I would just say this: The Message Matters! Regardless of musical preference, the tune, the style, if the truth is not clearly represented in the lyrics, well, that's not God honoring music regardless of who presents it. That might be something we all should agree on. Amen.

I know I haven't mentioned anything about politics in a while. There's not much to say about it. In trying to analyze what is exactly going on I for the life of me can only come up with bewilderment. I look at those who would replace our current leader and I try to determine where all of this is leading us to. I hear some supposed strong Christian leaders giving their rationale for supporting particular candidates and it is startling how they conclude this would be good for our nation. I do see this current situation to be one of progression. I try not to be an alarmist but there will be a day when we who are alive and remain will actually experience the last of the Last Days. That is Bible truth. I heard an advertisement on a Christian radio station that talked about an upcoming money management conference for believers. The voice over said they had invited a well respected expositor to speak about the countdown to the apocalypse. He said if you pay attention you can hear the footsteps in the background. I'm not saying he is right but I thought about it in terms of our nation and his description in many ways reflects how I feel about where we are at the moment. Something is going on here and it's always good to look up for our redemption draws near. Amen.

I know that seems a little heavy but for those of us who are anticipating the return of our Savior it is our real life hope. Here's a little anonymous story that might give you a chuckle. Might. No guarantee. ~ A young fellow had just gotten his driving permit. He asked his father, who was a minister, if they could discuss the use of the car. His father took him to his study and said to him, "I'll make a deal with you. You bring your grades up, study your Bible a little and get your hair cut and we'll talk about it." After about a month the boy came back and again asked his father if they could discuss use of the car. They again went to the father's study where his father said, "Son, I've been real proud of you. You have brought your grades up, you've studied your Bible diligently, but you didn't get your hair cut!" The young man waited a moment and replied, "You know Dad, I've been thinking about that. You know, Samson had long hair, Moses had long hair, Noah had long hair, and even Jesus had long hair...." To which his father replied, "Yes, and they WALKED everywhere they went!" ~ It does pay to know the Scriptures. Right? Enjoy your day and may God bless us all and may He again have mercy on our great nation. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: