Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A police car pulls up in front of the house, and grandpa gets out. The polite policeman explained to grandma that the elderly gentleman said he had gotten lost in the park, and couldn't find his way home. "Oh dear," grandma said to grandpa, "You've been going to that park for over 30 years! So how could you get lost?" Leaning real close to grandma so the policeman couldn't hear, grandpa whispered, "I wasn't lost, I was just too tired to walk home." (adapted)

Good morning and welcome to one day closer to some cooler weather sometime soon we all are hoping. It's Tuesday, September 1, 2015, and I bid you a warm welcome from our place here to wherever you happen to be. The upside down unsettling events connected to the markets last week led to about as much speculation as I have witnessed since the crash associated with the attacks on 9-11. I heard one particular fellow from London on the BBC giving his take on what was happening. He was exuberant in his optimism. He figured how that much of the sell off was because many of the senior traders were on vacation and the people left behind did not have the experience in how to deal with this situation. He also reasoned that the economies of the United States, Germany, and Great Britain were pretty solid, therefore, it would be China that would take most of the hit when it is all said and done. I think his message would be one of staying the course for the small investors. Hang in there. It will sort itself out and you will most likely be okay. Some investors are already not okay. They have collectively lost over $2 trillion in the US market alone. China has thus far not been able to stop the bleeding. They have attempted to control the message but the real problems in their failing economy cannot be suppressed by stopping news releases. The optimistic fellow on the BBC was still proclaiming how that even lower oil prices will be a net - net plus for the world in general while it will be devastating in the segments depending on its revenues. The sky is falling or happy days or here again. Half empty or half full. Bull or Bear. I reserve this last choice for those whose faith is in the Lord. He knows. He cares. He will take care of His own. Amen.

I do dearly love the back to school photos that have been all over Facebook the last few days. We still have students in our family from our great grand starting kindergarten to several in college. I know many are not excited about the required dress codes in many districts but seeing the photos I think they are a good thing. In contrast, some very young girls are dressed way too older for my tastes. I have eight granddaughters and one great granddaughter, therefore, I am entitled to an opinion. Having little ones looking like some of the older teens on those Disney shows is just asking for trouble. In my opinion. That's why I like the dress codes and the uniforms. Since I am on a roll I also think having two first graders pose as boyfriend and girlfriend is way over the top. Just me. I know. Most will say it is just harmless fun but I'm just sharing. That's all. I pray for all of our children, for their well being, for their protection, and for their commitment to apply themselves to learning all they can. May it be a remarkable year for them all. Amen.

Homemade Vanilla, then Dutch Chocolate, then Cookies 'n Cream. That's how the Blue Bell rolled out. They have made the most of the marketing of their slow return to production. I can't blame them for that. But, I do blame them for whatever they knew way back when they knew it and chose not to do anything about it. What little bit of inside information has dribbled out appears to indicate someone made decisions trying to protect the business in lieu of protecting the consuming public. I don't know the details. But, this contamination problem was not a new problem. I'm glad they will be back in business. I'm glad for the employees. I'm glad for the millions who love their products. I am not glad for anyone who puts profits ahead of public safety. I don't care if it's an auto company, a bread maker, or an ice cream enterprise. Anyone who makes a decision regarding product safety that leads to harmful consequences to those using the product, well, they need to be held accountable. (There's a meme out on Facebook that goes like this: So you killed a few people, what's the big deal? We still love our Blue Bell.) I know there are a number of lawsuits pending as one might expect. I also know there are likely more coming as the ambulance chasing legal machine signs up more victims. To me, based on the bits and pieces I've read, this could have been given the Barney Fife treatment when it was first encountered several years ago: "Nip it. Nip it in the bud!" Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. You know. Something about sports. Take care and I'll catch up with you later. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: