Wednesday, September 2, 2015

"Talking to yourself is okay. Answering back is risky." ~ Brian Spellman, American Author

Welcome folks to the place where you can get some news you can use, that is, if you choose. That's what I'm thinking about on this Wednesday, September 2, 2015. Here's a little snippet that might make some of us feel a little better. It seems the experts (whoever they are) have determined that people who talk to themselves can have a positive impact. Their findings indicate that talking to yourself can improve your mood, enhance your intelligence and boost self esteem. I do that some. I like to think of it as talking out loud. Not necessarily to myself but just rehearsing whatever I'm working on or trying to work out. Yes. I have been asked was I talking to someone before? People shouldn't interrupt that process that supposedly does so much good. Right? I know people who do a lot of talking to their animals. Others talk to their plants. And, obviously we know that many people talk to other drivers. Maybe screaming is a better way to describe it. Maybe the fellow who wrote the song in 1935 that later became a huge hit was on to something: "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter." You could do that and then to get the maximum benefit I suppose you could read it out loud to yourself. Next thing you know you might just be feeling smarter, happier, and more confident. I can't vouch for any of these results and I would rather guess they do vary widely depending upon individual application. That's called a disclaimer. You know, like the one that says: Don't try this at home.

This little story was shared on Facebook by a lady from over in Louisiana and I got a big kick out of it, and I think some of you will too. ~ Morris and his wife Esther went to the state fair every year, and every year Morris would say, “Esther, I'd really like to ride in that helicopter.” Esther always replied, “I know Morris, but that helicopter ride is fifty dollars, and fifty dollars is fifty dollars.” One year Esther and Morris went to the fair and Morris said, “Esther, I'm 85 years old. If I don't ride that helicopter, I might never get another chance.” To this, Esther replied, “Morris that helicopter ride is fifty dollars, and fifty dollars is fifty dollars.” The pilot overheard the couple and said, “Folks I'll make you a deal. I'll take the both of you for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and don't say a word I won't charge you a penny! But if you say one word it's fifty dollars.” Morris and Esther agreed and up they went. The pilot did all kinds of fancy maneuvers, but not a word was heard. He did his daredevil tricks over and over again, but still not a word. When they landed, the pilot turned to Morris and said, “By golly, I did everything I could to get you to yell out, but you didn't. I'm impressed!” Morris replied, “Well, to tell you the truth, I almost said something when Esther fell out, but you know, fifty dollars is fifty dollars!” ~

Does every report have to be a 'good news' 'bad news' accounting? A recent report says global longevity has been increased markedly in recent years. People are living longer these days. The other side of the coin: Sicker people are living sick for longer. The technology advances do not choose the winners and losers. I suppose it's in how it is applied. My cynical side says we will probably continue extending the lifespan without really having a great impact on the quality of people's lives. That's my cynical side. When I look behind my door number three I find a thankfulness that God has allowed us the advances we have experienced. However, and there seems with me to always be a however, leave it to a human race created in God's image but fallen to eventually mess things up. Sorry. Some days that cynical fellow just has the louder voice. What's behind my other doors? First of all I lost count of how many there are and even if I knew how many it would be doubtful that I would be able to articulate their contents. They pretty well open and close at their own volition. You do know that I'm more or less just poking fun. So, put the phone down, no need to call the mental health people on my behalf. Let's face it. They wouldn't know where to start. Now. Let's all do what we can to make this a wonderful day as we also seek the Lord and His provision. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: