Tuesday, March 12, 2013

When asked what time it is, Yogi Berra reportedly answered: "You mean right now?"

It is Tuesday, March 12, 2013 and only 8 days until Spring officially begins, however, we are still getting us some wonderful mid to high 30's here, and I couldn't be more proud of that. How about you? Last week we were inundated with the pollen. Suddenly, most of the cars were wearing a glowing gold green color. On Sunday we had us a short but very drenching downpour and that cleaned off the cars and we are ready to begin the process all over again. I did hear a local weatherman here in our area railing against Daylight Saving Time. I have not checked out his facts but here's a little of what he shared. The primary reason for making the change was to save energy. Studies show that it doesn't save any. The change does impact people. There are more accidents in the week following the time change. More people have heart attacks after the change. His thoughts indicated that it's just not needed. I know many folks who would agree. I would assume his facts are correct but then again he is in the weather forecasting business so I might just better check them out for myself. You can do the same.

I will tell you this. It is very very dark now when I unlock all our facilities around 6:30 am, when before it was beginning to be daylight. This means I had better have my flashlight tuned up because I'm talking 'can't see your hand in front of your face' dark. That, by the way, is one of the biggest arguments about the time change in the Spring. It makes it even more hazardous for the kids trying to get to school. I know they have to deal with it in the winter but extending it into the summer, well, it does seem to add some risks. But, there are plenty of folks convinced that the stuff I mentioned above is not an accurate reading of the facts. They believe by prolonging daylight, it does save some on lighting and heating. They believe the prolonged daylight offsets the morning accidents by making it easier to see into the evening. Then you have the entire outdoor activity industry that benefits from making more outside hours available each day. What's a body to do? Change our clocks and adjust is about the only thing we can do, that is, if we want to be wherever we are supposed to be at the scheduled time. And, after all, it is the law, except for Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa which are the only places in the U.S. that do not observe DST but instead stay on "standard time" all year long. Those places decided it was already hot enough all day long without adding to it. Here's a most interesting article from Monday's online Houston Chronicle:
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/03/is-it-time-to-end-daylight-savings-time/comment-page-1/
I have to think about thinking about getting a different cell phone pretty soon. Mine is more or less worn out. It's developed a new problem recently. It's questionable at times whether it can be recharged. I'm not sure it is failing or it just doesn't know. I say that because I think I can identify personally with that problem. But, I actually don't like for it to go stone cold dead in the middle of a conversation. When that happens I get pretty upset and say some ugly things to it but next time I charge it, he straightens up and flies right. I'm pretty sure me talking to it is not what gets him going again but he had better know that his days are numbered unless he can keep his act together. You noticed I called my phone he. I thought it might be a she because of it being so temperamental but had I used she, the phone might not be my only problem, if you know what I mean. And, nearly everyone knows I'm a pretty balanced fellow when it comes to gender distinctions. I have no idea what that means but I thought I would throw it into the mix anyway. I had better quit while I am behind because it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: