Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"The press is our chief ideological weapon." Nikita Khrushchev

Well, it is Tuesday, March 19, 2013, and that alone is probably a good reason to slap some water on our eyes, get our giddy up clothes on so we can get out there and 'git er done'. The new Pope appears to be a very humble soul based on all that has been reported about him. The media was pretty outlandish in the way they tried to cover his elevation like it was a presidential campaign or maybe an athletic contest. Now that the choice has been made, the media must do all it can to dig up every little detail about the 76 years this man has lived here on the planet. One of the British newspapers did locate his childhood sweetheart. She really liked him but was very young and her parents were totally against her getting involved. It was all very innocent and she is very proud to have been a tiny part of his life. The media take: "If you don't marry me I will become a priest." All I can say is this humble servant likely cannot begin to fathom the media firestorm that faces him. But, that's the way we roll folks, that's the way we roll.

I am a big fan of the 100 calorie pack. Of just about anything. It helps me in my ongoing trench warfare against diabetes. (My fasted blood sugar number was 103 this morning. For me, that's not a bad number.) They seem to add to the variety of these little packaged snacks every week. I recently purchased some walnut and almond packages in the 100 calorie version. They were in a box. Seven packages to a box. I opened the box and found some very tiny packages. How many walnuts and almonds does it take to equal 100 calories? How about a grand total of 0.56 ounces. Based on the math I know anything about, that's barely over a half of an ounce. But, the good news is that it doesn't take long to enjoy a little 0.56 ounce snack. This style of packaging is obviously very profitable and I'm sure there are less expensive ways to go, but it does make my life a little easier, therefore, I am thankful for any and all help I can get. Yes, I do know that calories are not the only consideration in the diabetes game. It's all about the carbs, however, you have to come up with a personalized strategy and the 100 calorie pack is a huge part of mine. Sure, I need to do better. But doesn't everyone? For me, it's likely those other meals that fill up a paper grocery sack by comparison that tend to keep my little monitor meter busy. In the meantime, why don't you drop by some time and I'll bust open a 100 calorie Scooby-Doo! gummy pack for you.

The Houston Rodeo has ended for this year. Some 2.5 million people attended. I was not one of them. We have many family, friends, and other folks I know who did attend. I also saw some war stories from some of the sold out events. One lady said it took them over an hour to get past the gate for the George Strait concert. No thank you. Traffic: crazy, confused, and congested. No thank you. My wife tried to come up with a Spring Break outing for some of the grand kids. I told her about someone at the office who went into Houston to carry some kids to the zoo. That lady drove around for over an hour looking for a parking place before giving up and coming back home. No thank you. I suppose it is good news for the entertainers that people do have enough 'want to' that they are willing to tolerate any and all inconveniences. That would not be me. Of course the media tends to mostly accent the positive, at least for these types of events. They are not always that kind. Lyndon Johnson said this about the press that covered him: "If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: "President Can't Swim." And so it goes. Have a great day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: