Friday, March 15, 2013

"Anti-Semitism is a noxious weed that should be cut out. It has no place in America." William Howard Taft

It's really dark here. That's the way it is most places before daylight. Right? But, it is Friday, March 15, 2013 on that famous, 'Beware the Ides of March day.', the one where Caesar met his fate in the year of 44 BC. Caesar's supposed last words were "Et tu, Brute?" To which a country comedian added the response: "No, I ain't et nothing yet." Of course the Latin phrase actually means, "You too, Brutus?", but, there's no proof these words were ever actually said. Speaking of speech, it stuns me at times what folks allow under the guise of free speech. The image above is one that can currently be seen in huge form on the sides of the buses that are a part of the San Francisco Metro system. I know we call it the left coast for a reason and the San Francisco area is known to be about as far left as anywhere in the world. I bet they would quickly disallow anything negative about unnatural lifestyles because they would deem it to be hate speech. Yet, they allow something as egregious as this to be paraded through their streets. I have news for them. God is not unaware of these types of direct threats against His chosen people and He will one day deal with it when He comes to make all things right. Amen.

You've heard the old one about how that going to Church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you an automobile. I saw a fellow who put that one up on a dialogue exchange and someone thought of another one that also sounded pretty good. It went something like this: Being elected doesn't make one a true representative of the people any more than standing in the halls of Congress makes one a great patriot. I think we all know that it is not what we say about ourselves that tell the story, it is what we do consistently that counts. Here's what the man called the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, had to say about true character: "A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble." I will be the first to say that there have been times when folks have attributed more character to me than I deserve. The good news is that I am aware of that and consider myself to be a work in progress and I have learned this: It will not take care of itself on its own!

I suppose my blogs are more like a smorgasbord than anything else I can think of. That Scandinavian word means essentially a buffet featuring a varied number of dishes. And, brother, I can dish it up and I can dish it out. Giving advice and sounding off is so much easier than taking advice, even my own, and letting my actions speak louder than my words. For this week, however, I think I can stick a fork in it because I'm pretty much done. I hope this upcoming Sunday does find us all in a place where folks gather to bring honor and glory to God and to hear Him speak as His word is taught. And, I hope we are there, not to be seen, but rather, to be challenged and changed as God works on our life. Consider the words of this children's song written by Joel Hemphill, "He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be. It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars, The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars. How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me." That applies to us all! Amen. See you next time and may God bless each one.           .....More later.

No comments: