Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"And how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." 2 Timothy 3:15

It's chill out Wednesday, and I welcome you to this chilly start here on March 27, 2013. I actually moved my wife's plants into the garage again, to protect them from the cold. How do you like that? A whole lot if you are me. It has brought a nice breath of cool fresh air and I count that as a blessing. Jesus made some comments about those who paid attention to predicting the weather when He was here on the planet. Matthew 16: Verses 2-3, But he answered them, "When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red. In the morning, 'It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Hypocrites! You know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but you can't discern the signs of the times!" Of course He was talking to them about priorities in discernment. The weather is an important factor in life but compared to eternal matters it is very much insignificant. And so it goes today as we all are prone to spend way more time on matters that in the grand scheme of eternity are not that significant at all. After all, during His earthly ministry, the vast majority of those Jesus came to save failed to discern His true identity and failed to discern the salvation He offered to them. Something to think about on this cool morning and perhaps I needed to. It came to my mind for some reason. Amen.

The current series on the History Channel about the Bible has certainly stirred up a lot of interest. The ratings have been huge. I've not watched it yet but I have been able to answer a number of questions posed by different people concerning the way particular people and events are being portrayed. While I am well aware that my knowledge is limited, it is a great privilege to be able to discuss these types of inquiries about God's Holy Word. There have been instances where the producers have chosen to embellish some in the presentation but for the most part it sounds like the truth comes through. Those in my class at our local fellowship have commented on this surprising closeness to the Scriptures that shows God's power and His working as presented from God's perspective. Our youngest son, Rodney, and his family are watching and he has been good to keep me posted on the progress of the series. I mentioned to him that as people inquire we must fulfill the inspired admonition from the Apostle Peter, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts; and always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, with humility and fear:..." (1st Peter 3:15) In other words, when we are able to interact with others based on questions about God and His Word, it's much more than just getting the academic stuff right. It's sharing the hope that abides in each believer's life as a result of knowing Christ. Amen.

I do know that even my Bible knowledge in terms of being able to get the facts and information quickly has slowed down a lot. It's still there somewhere but along this way of getting to the age that I now inhabit, well, I may have misplaced a few mental index cards and I just can't find or read them as quickly as I used to. The other day a fellow was talking to me about the young king in Judah that took over the kingdom when he was only eight years old. This young man ushered in a return to God and a great revival was accomplished. The fellow wanted to know how that was done since this king was so young. I knew the account well and told him that most scholars believe he was under the tutelage of a devoted man of God who along with other Godly advisers helped him until he was able to function more independently. That was a good discussion. Only one problem. I could not for the life of me remember that young boy's name. I knew that I knew it but I couldn't remember it, period. I didn't look it up but I also didn't forget that I had not been able to recall it. A couple of days later I was doing something and from out of somewhere, there it was, JOSIAH! This is what I am talking about. It would have been better to have had that name when we were talking but it's good to know that while it got stuck maybe in the wrong file up in my brain, it eventually was found. And, just so you know, I did not forget how to go find it because we can always refer to the Book, when we are in doubt. Okay. That will have to do for today. Have a great one and may God bless us all! Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: