Thursday, March 21, 2013

Questions that keep one up at night: What would happen if you put a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room?

It most certainly is, that is, it's Thursday and it has been ever since about one tick after our most previous midnight, at least that's how it works in these parts. Welcome to another beautiful day in my neighborhood and we find ourselves on the street marked March 21, 2013. Don't you hate it when something happens at the same time when something else happens and you immediately think they are connected but it turns out that they are not? This happens to me enough to where it makes me wonder sometimes. About myself. What's that? I should have started on that one a long time ago? Here's the most recent example. I often listen to Celtic folk music on a feed off the internet while I am working at my desk. The other day I was listening to some good Irish tunes and I reached over to turn my little one cup coffee maker off. When I hit the off button the music stopped completely. But before I could catch my breath, Bam!, the music was back and I was left to ponder another one of life's mysteries. Pondering. That may be why I occasionally have one of those pondering headaches, or maybe that's nothing more than another one of those disconnected but synchronized events. I know. Maybe I should just take two and call in tomorrow if I am not better. Thanks for the advice.

We finally did get some relief from all the prematurely heated up atmosphere and the cake mix pollen coating everything in sight. Early yesterday morning we had one of those medium to mega thunder bumpers come through and the heavenly car wash it produced was so greatly appreciated, and, I might add, phenomenally effective. (Temporary but very welcome!) The little storm was one of those head on collision situations. We had the gooey gulf humid air rolling in from the south and a weather system coming down and across from the northwest. Cooler air meets heated humid air. What happened when they met reminds me of that Witch Doctor song from back in 1958. The memorable lyric that got stuck in everyone's mind went like this: "Oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang". If I am not mistaken, this is exactly what I heard the two fronts singing when they met. The heaviest rain didn't last that long but it was coming down so hard I couldn't find a setting on my wipers that it seemed to pay any attention to. And, in the midst of my reporting of this wonderful respite, I could not fail but to offer up an expression of gratitude to God for the rain that we need so much in our area. A blessing to be sure. Amen.

I would ask all to say a prayer for my sister JoAnn. She has just started a fairly intense regimen of chemo to treat her chronic leukemia. Like most things medical, it has not all gone smoothly but she is a real trooper, but more than that, she is a woman of faith who has her trust in her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We are thankful this is considered to be a treatable form of leukemia and we pray for remission. She really doesn't like a whole lot of attention but she is a prayer warrior and I know she would appreciate the prayers of any and all who feel moved to mention her name. I am currently doing a verse by verse teaching through the Old Testament books of 1st and 2nd Samuel. Most folks know about David, the shepherd boy who defeated the giant Goliath and became King of Israel. Those might be called the highlights but may I tell us all that David's life was also saturated with lowlights as well. He experienced wave after wave of adversity that seemed to dog his steps. Last week I wrote this up on the board as an introduction: "Dear David, I did not say it would be easy. Love, God." That was true for David and it is also true for each of us. One unalterable truth that made David's life worthwhile: God was with him each step of the way. And, for those of us who are believers, that exact same truth, no difference at all, is how we can make it, one day at a time, one struggle at a time, and victory through it all. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: