Friday, March 8, 2013

"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

I don't know about you but I am ready to begin to get ready to catch my breath a little on this welcome Friday, March 8, 2013. I do recognize that I have been all over the map this week in my daily visits. I can't really apologize for this because it's more or less how it works. I do try, as best I can, to not needlessly offend anyone but I know there are some folks who are super sensitive to even a mention of a subject they hold strong opinions on. That's okay. That's how it works. I also am aware that some folks actually think my strong opposition to the current administration's policies is due to some deep seated hatred for our President, and to add insult to injury, they connect it to the color of his skin. That my friend is a bunch of bunk. I have most of my life story to prove my acceptance of people of every race, creed, and color, period, end of story. In 1992 I cast my vote in the Republican primary for Dr. Alan Keyes, an African American. Why? He, in my opinion best aligned himself with many of the principles I hold dear, those that uphold family, faith, and freedom. But, it's okay for folks to have strong opinions because that it is a fundamental part of our American way. This doesn't make it right to impugn people's motives or their character, just because you disagree with them. And, that goes for all sides involved in the arguments that define our discourse. Okay. That's enough of my thoughts on civics for today but stay tuned, I would modestly predict it will come up again.

I was able to show up for our inner city Bible club ministry this past Tuesday evening. It was my first time to be there in a month. It seemed nearly every week there was something that was making for a conflict in me being able to be there. It is always good to show up and to reconnect with the kiddos that we attempt to teach and influence for the Lord. One fifteen year old boy has been in the program for at least five years. This kid has had his struggles with his grades, his home life, and other challenges. I have counseled and prayed with him many times and I do feel a special connection to him. He currently is doing great. His grades are good and he is also excelling in athletics. The other evening I gave him a hug and told him I had truly missed seeing him and the rest of the kids. He looked at me and said he had missed me as well and then he said something I don't think I will ever forget. He called me by my name and told me that he very well remembers the first time he met me at our club. I'm not sure exactly why but that brought a tear to my eye. I ask that you join in praying for these kids, many of them who are at risk. Sadly, we have way too much evidence to prove just how at risk they are. You see what I mean? It doesn't take much for an old dude like me.

Those types of responses are a plus but there is a very serious part of what we do in trying to help these children to come to know Jesus as their Savior, and then to help them to grow in their faith, and to develop the living out of their lives in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. Let's be honest, that's a difficult challenge for them, and for us all! And, oh by the way, it's a 24x7 proposition, which reminds me. I stay mostly behind on all of the above, but, that's a condition that we all share in, including every believer, the human one, and I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I mean. The main thing is to stay in the fight. If you do give in, don't give up. The Apostle Paul said we believers need to have our armor on, all the time. Why? He said it's because of the fiery darts being slung at us by our adversary, the Devil himself. (Ephesians Chapter 6) I heard one preacher say that he uses those preparation verses for warfare and actually mimics putting on each of the parts of the armor mentioned. He goes through the pantomimed motion of putting on the breastplate, the helmet, the leggings, and then takes the shield and sword, as he faces his day. I've not done that but one thing I know to be true. It is that real. Well, I think I've pretty much used up my time for this week, therefore, I'll say bye for now along with a prayer that God will help us all to be faithful. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: