Friday, March 1, 2013

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these." George Washington Carver

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, or that's what I've heard, but, I suppose that would depend on which neighborhood someone was in, or maybe whether it was good day or a bad day, or something to that effect. One thing is true. It is Friday and that is good news in my own little corner of my own little neighborhood, here on this 1st day of March, 2013. On Good Friday, in 1930, BBC News, broadcasting on radio, announced there was no news to report and piano music followed for people tuned in to listen to. No such luck here. Even when I have nothing to report that hasn't kept me from droning on. (One definition of droning says it can be the making of a low dull humming sound.) I don't know if that shoe is a size 8 or not, but it sounds like a pretty good fit to me. Let me move on. Most of us know that marriage can be a dangerous business. Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the forerunner group that later became the Girl Scouts, found that out the hard way. On her wedding day she was hit in her only good ear by a kernel of thrown rice. It lodged there and became infected. When the surgeon went in to remove it, her ear drum was punctured rendering her deaf. I know some of you may have thought that could have been a set up for a joke about peace and quiet, but please take note that I wouldn't have even thought of going there.

I told you I would find something to share. I also read a tidbit about a thought-to-be-very-lucky fellow who reportedly survived a serious train derailment, a door that came off the airplane he was in, two fiery car crashes, and a bus accident. Not only that, he later went on to win one million dollars in a lottery. Since they didn't give his name I can't be sure but I assume he wasn't the fan killed in the stands during the halftime at a NY Jets football game in Shea Stadium on December 9, 1979. On that day the halftime show included the demonstrating of model airplanes. One model shaped like a lawnmower got away from its operator and crashed into the stands hitting a fellow named John Bowen who later died from the injuries he received. That is a true story and it shows how that life can be very precarious. I know it wasn't funny but just think about how improbable it is that a person would be killed by a flying model lawnmower. But, with all the knowns and unknowns, this life is the one we have, therefore, we need to use it up in ways that make a difference, hopefully, doing things that honors God and helps others. We also kind of need to do it now because we never know when we might just be dealing with our last opportunities to do something that does count.

Looking at the hodgepodge of material I've served up today makes me think we might have been better off had I done what the BBC Radio News did back in 1930, called it a day and put up some piano music for your listening pleasure. I know how to do that but I've intentionally shied away from audio and video stuff plugged into my daily episodes. Many blogs use them a lot. I made the choice not to. I do the writing and do my best to find images that help to convey my message, therefore, I will leave the videos to others. This by default means that some days will be better than others. But, it's still The View From Here, good, bad, or indifferent. It has been another event filled week here at the old blogger ranch. I have enjoyed our time together each day and look forward to our upcoming visits, Lord willing, of course. Remember a few weeks ago when I told you I thought we still had some cold weather coming even though the experts said they thought it was a thing of the past for this season, well, we will be at or near freezing in the morning. I do love it when I'm right. Don't you like when you are? Bundle up and I'll check in next Monday. Until then, may God bless each one. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: