Friday, December 14, 2012

You didn't really think I had run out of anything to say, did you?

I'm always a little late with pertinent news. Last Wednesday would have been an appropriate day to remind us all that it was 12-12-12. I did see a shooting star Wednesday morning. You put those two together and you might just have the makings of some kind of sign. But, since I didn't catch up with it until today, the sign remains the same, I'm still about a day late, and a dollar short. It is Friday, December 14, 2012, and I commit to trying to do better as we continue this long running version of keeping on keeping on. Oh yeah. In case you haven't heard, the world is supposed to end next Friday, December 21. This has something to do with an ancient Mayan calendar. I have not paid enough attention to it to even give an informed opinion, but, I have heard bits and pieces that pretty much debunk the prediction from the get go. That doesn't mean that the world as we know it could not end on that day, or that it could not end even on this very day. According to the Word of the Living God, the timing of when He will bring a conclusion to the age in which we live is in His hands and 100% under His authority and control. I believe that. The question could be: How much? If we do believe He could bring about the events depicted in His Word at anytime, we might well look at what the Apostle Peter said about God's people knowing these things. "Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!" (2 Peter 3:11-12) Some food for thought for a Friday morning.

Us older folks being out of sync with the modern world is not an isolated malady. The other evening the wife and I did a Santa experience for a large apartment complex. Some of the ladies who were working with us had been managing at that location for as much as twenty years. However, they had recently been taken over by a new management company and everything had changed. In fact, they were in the process of nervously learning how to operate the new I-Pads they had been given by Corporate. One lady remarked that nearly all the new people who they were now reporting to were only old enough to be her children. I gave them the famous catch all for situations like this: Welcome to the NFL. They said everything had to be done now, period. They were also preparing to go to a management Christmas gathering where each person was to bring a gag gift. One of the older ladies said she had found a wonderful piece of candy that looked like a lump of coal, and she intended to place it in a nice container and then wrap it appropriately. I asked them the pregnant question: How many of the younger folks would catch the meaning of a lump of coal? I know there was a cartoon movie by that name a few years ago but the actual meaning goes back to the 1800's. In those days a tradition came into fashion where good children got candy and cookies and kids that had been bad received a lump of coal in their stocking. Just in case the senior manager were to get that gag gift, it might be good if they don't get the meaning, that is, if you know what I mean, or something to that effect.

This morning we plan to do Santa and Mrs. Claus photos at a private Christian academy. This will be my third year to provide this service to this wonderful group of kids. I would guess they may have as many as 100 students who will be participating. Many of these kids are from low income families. Last year, a local professional photographer also donated his time and talent. They bring the classes in one at a time and then the fun begins. It will take a couple of hours and one of the exciting things about doing this work, you just never know what might happen. Our granddaughter Amanda helped out in the Jasper appearance we did. She ran the little printer to give out the souvenir photos. She was so excited because she got to be the first one to see the pictures, plus she got to see firsthand all the antics of the kids. She babbled for two hours during our trip back home and sounded like a recorded message being played in fast mode. Excited. The coordinator lady from the Junior League program sent us a wonderful thank you note expressing appreciation for us preserving for the children the magic of Christmas. I'll try to remember these nice things as I pour the sweat out of my boots. Okay. I can hear my wife now. "Why did you have to say something like that?" Good question. I'll think about it and you do the same. Maybe by next Monday I'll have something to report or we will compare notes, or something. Until then, may God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: