Thursday, December 6, 2012

Giving Christmas gifts to your children when they are young is a lot like life in general. You work hard and provide the best you can and a fat guy in the suit gets all the credit.

Made it. That is, to Thursday, December 6, 2012. Sometimes you see things that just look rather odd. The other day I was in one of the big box versions of the world's largest retailer. On any day you can see strange things in that place. But, I did see this older and rather heavy lady driving one of those automated carts. The odd thing was she was towing another one beside her. Maybe she was taking it to a friend but it did capture my attention. Little kids don't always have a whole lot of pretense in the way they inquire about things. The other day, our grandson, Alexander Benjamin, seven, became interested in quizzing me about the gift finding, acquisition, and storage procedure that would be carried on within our household. He was particularly interested in where we stored the items in our house before putting them under the tree. Hello? I told him that was none of his business and he gave me that look of, 'well it didn't hurt to ask, did it?' I always think it funny when little kids try to tell Santa what they want for Christmas and they are pretty much just jabbering, but the parents, they look at me like I should be able to give them a hint. I might be Santa but if they can't understand what their own child is saying, well, I would recommend a surprise on Christmas morning.

A dear elderly lady that Marilyn and I have known for well over 50 years passed away the other day. She was 95. I was reading her obituary and I read something that caused me to catch my breath. It listed three preachers who would be officiating. The third name was that of our dear Brother Milton, Marilyn's brother. I called Marilyn over to the computer and we both had tears in our eyes. The man given up for dead more than once now helping to do the home going service of one of God's saints. Marilyn immediately called her sister and we learned that Milton was going to offer a prayer. Milton and his wife Glenda have relocated into what we call our home area community in Louisiana. The fellowship where they attend have hopes that Brother Milton will be able to fill in and to serve wherever he fills led. Marilyn's sister, Dorothy, later reported how that Milton had done an outstanding job at the funeral service and had even sang in the choir. She said she could hear him singing bass. That reminded me of the time when we were visiting Marilyn's dad in the rest home. His body was all twisted up from a stoke and he at times did not know even those closest to him. On a Sunday, Milton led a service and preached a short sermon. He then asked his dad if he would like to sing with him. Brother Rawles' eyes lit up and they commenced to sing an old favorite. He couldn't talk. His mind was pretty well shot. But, lo and behold, there he lay, singing the harmony on a song about going to the gloryland. Folks, with God nothing shall be impossible, and I say Amen and Amen to that.

I am glad to report that my eyes are stable with no change in the tiny little spot that potentially could be an instance of diabetic induced macro degeneration.The opthamologist I use is a young lady doctor and she is very kind, but also as serious as a heart attack when it comes to things like the one I'm talking about. The one thing I absolutely hate about this problem is the laser photography thing they have to do to compare last time to the current. It is one of those time slice deals that require you to be perfectly motionless as in no moving or blinking until it completes it cycle. The first time they did that to me last year I thought they were going to choke me because of how long it took to get these pictures made. I did better this time but it was still very tedious. I told my wife it seems that when they tell me that I must stay absolutely still and no blinking, that's when my sin reflux rebels. She questioned my use of the word reflux but folks I think that pretty much describes it. Maybe if they didn't tell me not to move I would do better and when they say no blinking it's like every nerve in my body joins forces to overcome their command. It's like they are screaming in my ear, "Who are they to tell you what you will and will not do?" But, we did get it done. The lady technician was relieved. I was relieved. The doctor was relieved. All God's children were relieved, or something like that. I think you get what I am talking about and again, that's reason number 43 of why I wouldn't wish being me on anyone else. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: