Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thanks kiddos for looking out for me.

Hello one and all, I'm thankful that I woke up this morning, was able to get up, get out of bed and make my thirty to forty minute journey here, at the temporary location of old blogger ranch, where I can share with you on this Thursday, December 20, 2012. I said temporary because the old blogger ranch ends up being located wheverer I happen to be when I write my daily episode. That was kind of a long howdy do but it is good to be with you again. I know the first key in the AA program tells participants they must recognize and admit their situation. While it took me a while to get there, I do feel more comfortable in admitting that I am a diabetic. One would think that someone who takes medication twice a day and continues to poke little holes in their fingers wouldn't be so conflicted about this. I am thankful that it is controlled as well as it is, although, I am well aware that I could do better. I'm also thankful for those who are concerned about my diabetic condition. The other day we were at a restuarant celebrating the 16th birthday of Jimmy Jr. This eating place had a free ice cream dispenser. Alexander Benjamin wanted a cone. I went with him to fetch one. I got me one at the same time. A small one. A sample, if you will. When we returned to our table, everyone, including all the grand kids had a fixed look of being stunned. My wife said they had been discussing the situation and the grandchildren were worried about whether or not I was supposed to be eating that ice cream cone. The Lord knows that I do need all the help I can get. Thank you Lord for those who are concerned, even for their Poppy. Amen.

We do appreciate all the well wishes regarding our anniversary. So many couched their comments in saying how unusual it is for it to be so long, 48 years. Here's my response to that sentiment: Only by the grace of God. We also feel humbled by so many wonderful things said about us. I will tell you this about that. And you can write this one down. It is always better to be known as a blessing in people's lives than something negative. There is, however, a huge caveat. We know ourselves. We understand that we have plenty of flaws. We thank God for His allowing us to influence others but we are well aware of what happens when people forget who they really are. Marilyn and I both have always identified with a quartet song that says "I'm just a sinner saved by grace." I remember a preacher once saying how terrible that song is. He said we are not just a sinner. We are somebody. We are children of the King. We are saved eternally. Therefore, we should live above it all. While I understand where he was coming from, I would just tell you about my sojourn thus far. It tells me that we all struggle with that old man nature and I think God would have us to live in the real world where each and every person ends up having to deal with their number one challenge. That is clearly what I have often called the unholy trinity of me, myself, and I. Thanks again for your support along with the many kind words. Please know that we will do our best, with God's help, to keep on keeping on.

Last night ended our Santa run for this year. We did a dozen events. It was great. It was tiring. It was wonderful. It was exhausting. Hey. We actually enjoyed it very much. I am not unhappy to see it end because now I can get myself ready to be focused on our Christmas celebration with our family. During this season we held in our hands and on our laps well over 1000 children. While that may not sound like that many to the mall guy who works all day and where some days the line goes up, down and all around, but, for me, still working a regular schedule each week, that is, if anything I'm involved in can be called regular, it was in many ways above and beyond. Children. My oh my. What blessings they were. The smiles, the eyes lighting up, the hugs, the wishes, and yes, even the crying and kicking. Christmas surely is for kids from one to 99. I know how easy it is to obscure the real reason for the season and we do our best not to let that happen. Children living in this old world can use a little escape now and then. That's where I come in. I'm in the memory making business. We've seen a number of Christmas cards with my image on them. And, that's only from people we know. There are no doubt hundreds more with my version of the jolly old dude on the front cover. I want to thank my wife for being with me in all of these events. She brought a wonderful touch, literally to the children, and in so many of the photographs. Now it is on with the next thing on our list, you know, the Paul Harvey version, 'The Rest of the Story.' Have a wonderful day and don't forget to remember to thank God for it. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: