Friday, December 7, 2012

"Jolly old Saint Nicholas, Lean your ear this way! Don't you tell a single soul What I'm going to say: Christmas Eve is coming soon; Now, you dear old man Whisper what you'll bring to me; Tell me if you can."

Hello, take a deep breath, and enjoy the fact that it is Friday, December 7, 2012. It's important to note that we are picking up the pace as we hurry our way towards Christmas Day. That turning over of the calendar for December makes all the difference in the world. Folks now get the connection of the white beard almost immediately. They like to get my attention and tell me they have been really good this year. They remind me of their address and often share their most wanted item like a car, a diamond, or a boat, or for the Texans to win it all. Just a few weeks ago they looked at me and wondered where my sign was. The one asking for a hand out. Of course with all the Santa's out there it can get confusing. It keeps the parents really on their toes. "Hello Santa, we just saw you over at the mall, do you remember us? And, guess what? We will be seeing you again when we visit Santa Land next week." No wonder the kids stay confused. I did attract the attention of another Santa one day when I was standing in the hall still dressed out. He came over to me and remarked how that we were twins. He put his arm around me and called on somebody, anybody, to take our photo together. Now wait just a cotton picking minute! Everything about this fellow was fake. Fake eyebrows. Fake hair. Fake beard. How dare he call me his twin. Where do we report this unfounded charge of mistaken identity? Us twins. In his dreams maybe.....

BEFORE
You know I don't take it that seriously. My daughter in law was with a group of her lady friends out at the big holiday market shopping deal. They actually had their photo made with that fake Santa guy. It didn't really bother me that much. What's that you heard? Did I actually print out that photo, scan it back into my computer and use a image utility to overlay myself onto it and then republish it on Facebook? I may have done that but it was only because I wanted to preserve their keepsake and make it something they will always treasure. You've heard how that friends don't let friends drive drunk. Well, in that same spirit, I try to protect those who are special to me. And, how would you like it if someone came up to you and said that you were their twin? Think about that one for a while. Okay. You do know that this is all in fun. I have no issues whatsoever with that poor misguided Santa wannabe. I know I will likely get some cards and letters on this one but it really is intended to bring a smile. Maybe no smiles from his family but for the rest of us, go ahead and enjoy it because the season really doesn't last that long, so take advantage of a smile or two while you can.

AFTER
It's been a busy week, both here at the workplace, and in my own busy version of Santa Land. I've also greatly enjoyed revisiting The Scriptures in preparation for sharing God's preserved word that give the details of how He brought His one and only Son into the world. When I was telling my wife about my inability to stay still long enough for my eye exam photo, she said they should see how still I am when I am all laid out in that recliner. She said other than the noise, there doesn't appear to be any motion at all. I questioned the accuracy of that account but she said maybe I should ask the grand kids because they have observed it first hand. Why do they always have to drag the children into it? I've said all of that to say there's a reason I may, on occasion, visit dreamland while watching TV. And, part of it has to do with being busy and the other part has to do with age. That's it. I think I may have found the answer. It's the age thing. No wonder I pass out. It's not that long before I will be leaving Route 66, headed straight for HWY 67. That explains a lot. Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this conundrum. Now, go out there and enjoy your Saturday even if you happen to bump into a fake Santa or two. Then, do your best to join other believers at the meeting place on Lord's Day Sunday and that my friend will do anyone some good. Until next time, on behalf of myself and Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol, "God bless us, every one!" Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: