Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?" -- Bob Hope

It is Wednesday, December 12, 2012, and I begin today's episode with a public service announcement: Only 13 left. That would be 312 hours for those who might cruise the internet looking for deals. That's right. Only 13 shopping days left until December 25th, Christmas Day. I heard a news report stating that one third of those who plan to buy gifts have not done so yet. And, while Black Friday was a good day for retailers and Cyber Monday was also good for the internet shopping day, they still need the rest of us to make it a good year. I'm still thinking. Part of my thinking has to do with thinking about when I might start thinking seriously about finishing the shopping I need to do. The fourteen Santa events we scheduled this season has made it just a tad more difficult to get focused on these other duties but as far as we now know, the 19th will be our last appearance and after that I can trim my beard, get a haircut, and get serious about our Christmas Day plans. I did have one little fellow who told me a joke he liked. He asked why the dog crossed the road, twice. I told him that Santa did not have a clue. He said the dog was chasing a boomerang. Not bad for a little guy.

Last Sunday, after morning services at our local fellowship, the wife and I went to lunch and then stopped by the big retail outlet. I was dressed in my typical Christmas civilian clothes. Red checkered shirt, a tie adorned with Christmas balls, along with a bright red vest. I was getting quite a bit of attention. I asked my wife if she had any idea why so many kids were staring at me. She said that I was getting the very attention I wanted and that's why I had dressed that way. She does have a way of cutting to the chase and there may have been a shred of the semblance of truth in her response. On our way into the store a young African American boy, maybe six or seven, shouted out, "Hey, Santa Claus!" I waved. His mom smiled. But, his older brother came up behind him and muzzled his mouth with his hands. I guess he didn't share his brother's excitement. Just for the record. I didn't request a trip to the retail store but since I was there I might as well have spread a little Christmas cheer, and based on some of the kids' response, I do believe I can report: mission accomplished.


I know all of us have some folks who have passed on to their reward and we can't help but miss them during the holiday season. There's a young woman who is a part of our local fellowship. Her name is Lyndzie. She is a college student. She lost her dad suddenly eight years ago. She misses him much but she also knows that she will see him again. Recently she posted on her Facebook page some lyrics along with a photo of when she was a little girl with her dad. They were excerpted from a song written by Granger Smith: "I wish I had 5 more minutes..One more time with him...To share a cup of coffee with him, and hear his voice again. I'd tell him that I loved him, And he would know how much I meant it. Cause you can love a lifetime, In 5 more minutes..." Smith wrote that song about his grandfather. Many of us can identify with his song and Lyndzie's thoughts about her dad. When I read her posting it caused me to think about my own dad. After a brief illness, he left us for his reward in January 1954. I was seven years old. My dad was known for his love of children. Pretty obvious. There were six of us to love on. The other day my sister JoAnn told me that my work as Santa was likely an inherited trait from a man known for his love of rocking babies. While I can't be certain about that, it does seem to make some sense. I know way too many folks, this year in particular, who are facing their first Christmas without someone that was such a huge part of their lives. Tough. I pray for them because I know where they are coming from. And, yes, I would love to spend 5 minutes with my dad. Someday I will. May we all pause a moment to remember those who are missing someone special this Christmas. May God comfort each heart. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: