Friday, May 4, 2012

Welcome to another edition of America's Funniest Videos, the text only version.

We did make it. It's already Friday, May 4, 2012. Wow! Seems like only a few days ago it was Monday and I was returning to the scene of the crime. That's the way it works? Oh really? Every week? I hadn't thought about it but I suppose that does make sense. At any rate, I'm glad to report the end of a fairly busy and hopefully productive work week. The week I was off I didn't get up at my regular 3:30 a.m. each morning. I know. That is a let down to some of you but it just didn't seem like the thing to do. That is, I didn't each morning. I did get up pretty early several days and enjoyed my early morning coffee while waiting for the day's activities to unfold. I remember one morning where I watched the news on about seven different channels including from China and Russia. Guess what? Those channels like to portray our nation in somewhat of a negative light. They tend to play up our problems while skimming over the really deplorable stuff going on in their own backyard. Propaganda is what they are pushing but they do have some special segments that highlight their people and places and I greatly enjoy these glimpses into everyday life. By 8 a.m., I could have presented the news, local, national and international, including the weather, without using a teleprompter. Don't even go there. That was not a dig against our President. Do you have to turn everything into something about politics? Just kidding.

The other day I received a voice mail message that I thought was from my mom. It wasn't. I erased it after listening to it, therefore, I couldn't go back to it to try and figure out who it was. That actually happened. Here's a funny little story about a similar mix up, a Friday Funny, if you will: "Man and wife goes on a vacation to Florida, but the wife is delayed a day because of her job. So the man gets to Florida, gets checked in to the hotel and decides to send his wife an e-mail to let her know he's arrived safe and is checked in to the hotel and will see her tomorrow. But he can't remember her e-mail address so he does his best from memory, unfortunately he missed it by one letter and the e-mail is sent to an elderly preacher's wife whose husband had just passed away the day before.When the grieving widow read the e-mail she screamed and then passed out. The e-mail read: Dearest Wife, Just got checked in. Everything is prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Your Loving husband. P.S. Sure is hot down here." I've heard of some really bad stuff happening because of not making sure the address is correct. How about someone who accidentally sends out a broadcast to all employees where he is very critical of the boss? He used an old email that already had the addresses plugged in and accidentally sent it out without changing the address block. My understanding is that he did get a response!

This brings us to the end of another five days of my sharing of some of the things that percolate up in my noggin. Thanks to everyone who wished my mom well on her 88th birthday. Thanks also to those who offered up prayers for our son Jimmy. Those expressions mean much to me. This blogging experiment has been in many ways cathartic to me. While I have always been a notoriously private person and remain one today, I have learned to share some of my life through my daily visits. One thing is sure. We all have stuff to deal with in our life, period, end of story. Yours is likely different than mine but we all have our moments, our challenges, our hurts, and our times of struggle. That's common to every person who breathes air on the planet. The good news for me and for others who have founded their identity in Jesus the Christ, is how that He gives us meaning and purpose along with His presence to keep us keeping on even as we deal with the storms that sometimes mark our way forward. I commend Him and His love to each and every person who might read this text. No. It doesn't mean that everything falls into place and all the troubles fade away, but having Him with you every step of the way makes life possible, one that can bring honor and glory to God. Until next week, may God bless you all, and may God help us to seek and follow Him. Amen.    ....More later.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog