Monday, May 21, 2012

Taking a coffee inspired victory lap!

It's Monday, May 21, 2012. Good morning or as it sounds after my first cup of Community, GOOD MORNING! Most of us have seen Family Feud at one time or another and probably heard the famous fill in the blank prompt from Richard Dawson, "Survey says:" Well, I have some good news. A brand new study out from the National Cancer Institute says that based on an extensive study, coffee drinkers live longer on average, than non coffee drinkers. It didn't matter if it was decaf or straight, those who imbibe tend to add time to their life span, on average. Don't take my word for it, go and read it for yourself. I've included the link to USA Today which actually is quoting from the official article published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The link is at the end of this first paragraph. Makes you want to pour up another cup even as I savor this latest indication of positive value sponsored here on my blog at no cost to them by the Community Coffee Company. Okay. Yes. I am fully aware that another report will be out soon that will actually reflect opposite results. However, we must take our opportunities to feel good where and when we can. I had already read this article, therefore, I brewed the Community extra strong just to add a little punch to it as these coffee soaked words made their way from the keyboard to the electronic page.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-11/coffee-drinkers-longer-life-expectancy/55024636/1?loc=interstitialskip

Yes. I know. We all do it. We all look for any kind of confirmation whatsoever that tends to agree with or support what we have a habit of doing. When that 'opposite' research comes out, I most likely will not be as eager to summarize its findings for you. That's what we call fair and balanced but from a biased point of view. You've heard me talk before about my conviction that there is no such thing as an unbiased reading of the facts, at least, not in this world. This is because of our fallen natures operating in a fallen world. Everyone has whatever it is that makes them who they are and they are not able, no matter how hard they try, to check that at the door when they are examining facts and information. Some may be better than others at working hard to try to be unbiased, but in my opinion, it's still there and it is woven into the fabric of individual perspective and thought. Now I will tell you that there is a source for unbiased truth, that being, God's Holy Word. It is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, period. I did see that sentiment again on a huge Church sign the other day: "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." I was riding with two other fellows when we passed that sign and I began to try to explain why I thought the sign had it wrong. I told them my thought was that it should read: "God said it. That settles it. Thank God I believe it." I told them that our belief one way or the other did not change God's settled truth. I know. Sounds a little picky. I can be that way some times, in an unbiased way, of course.

We all are uniquely qualified to practice self delusion. I talked to a fellow about his failing health. He told me since the doctor didn't mention his huge overweight condition it must not be a problem. See what I mean? If the doctor had mentioned it he would have immediately started trying to do something about it? I'm not sure he would. I'm not pointing the finger at that guy because we are all prone to read our own press releases and typically we do tend to believe them. It's like the person eat up with all kinds of ailments finding hope in one of those news clips about someone who throughout their entire lifetime drank, smoked, and never exercised, but still lived to be 100. Those stories do catch my eye as well. But, I think we all would know better than to draw too much from these extremely exceptional cases. And, I do mean rare exception. But that's the way we end up being wired, therefore, God's Book, the Source of truth is absolutely critical if we are to make sense of the life God has given to us. When we allow God's Word to inform our thinking we then are able to live by faith and that my friend will be the best life possible regardless of what we encounter along the way. What about those who misunderstand and misapply the truth found in God's Word? Oh no. That's an excellent question and maybe one day I will tackle it, doing so from my point of view, of course. Have yourself a great Monday by seeking God and His Kingdom first. Amen.          .....More later.






No comments: