Monday, May 7, 2012

The things we pursue here essentially tell 'our' story.

Confession time: It is ironic that I got Monday's blog mixed up with Friday's edition, especially when I did so on the day that I wrote that ditty about sending the email to the wrong address. Sometimes very early in the morning when I remember a thought or an idea I try to map out a blog about it with a head start so to speak. I typically do try to stay one day ahead, if I can, because some days I actually do not have the time because of other stuff going on to thrash out one from scratch. However, I do have to do that anyway from time to time. But, alas, as bad as I hate to admit it, I do make the occasional mistake. I know it bothers me more than most of those who actually receive these by email but I do apologize for any inconvenience this mix up might have caused, but I can't imagine with the delete button ever so handy that it would end up being a huge problem to anyone. I know my wife loves it when I make a boo boo because she thinks it causes me to tone down any comments that I possibly would have made had I not done my thing right out there in the middle of the blogging fish bowl. But, we get up, dust ourselves and our keyboards off, and give it another shot. So here's the one I sent initially on Friday that should have been sent today, therefore, it is being sent today, once again, for the first time. Or something like that.

Good Monday morning to you on this date marked on the calendar as May 7, 2012. We all are different. Most of us like different things. And, we tend to pursue different priorities. I am often struck by how off the wall different these priorities can be. The other day I overhead two thirty something guys talking. They were discussing how one of their wives had been able to get in with some friends who had backstage passes to one of the aging rock band performances. These fellows were nearly drooling as they relived her experience of being able to rub shoulders with what obviously were some of their heroes. They grew up listening to this band. They sounded as if these folks had made a profound impact on their lives. Both of these men have young families. Both of them have been active in Church at one time. They are not now. Maybe it is because I am an old dude but as I heard them gushing over this experience that they didn't even have I couldn't help but be concerned about the influence and impact of this orientation on their families. I know. Today's world calls for us to mind our own business and just leave people alone. I suppose God could have done that to us but He didn't. His priority was to provide a way of salvation and that required that He tell us the truth which caused us to have to confront our sinful condition. At any rate, I felt burdened about it and said a prayer for them and their families. I know I would like to retrace some of my steps in life and make different choices and choose different priorities, therefore, I am acutely aware of their connection to outcomes and results. Maybe it is my own failings that make me sensitive to things like this. I pray for mercy and grace into all our lives. Amen.

No. I am not standing up on my high horse platform pointing my legalistic finger at others. However, I've messed up enough on my own to be able to sense danger and I know our enemy will use any and all things he can to destroy us and our families. Alarmist? You betcha! Satan is real and he is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. (1st Peter 5:8) The other day driving home I heard a ten minute report on National Public Radio where they featured a lady Methodist preacher who had renounced her faith and announced that she was now an atheist. The spin? Through investigation and research she became aware of the facts and that led her to declare that any and all things pertaining to God is a myth. A couple of days later I heard the hosts reading the responses of their listeners to that report. A number of noted atheists chimed in that it was encouraging and about time they got the respect they deserved. However, the overwhelming response was negative. Many proclaimed that NPR seemed to be promoting this viewpoint. Others listed their credentials and spoke of their education but stood up for their devotion and love for their Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Yes. I am aware that this radio program is left leaning and liberal embracing. But, I often listen because it does add some context to how those on the left present their side of the story. On this particular segment I was well pleased that the overwhelming response was negative towards giving someone that much time to essentially trash the Christian faith. I remind one and all of what God has said: "The fool has said in his heart, there is no God." (Psalm 14:1)

I'm not trying to make this into a theological journal. But the substance of these things I've spoken about do bring concern to my heart. This world where everybody is on their own and whatever choices they make should be okay with everyone else, well, that is exactly the broad road that Jesus described. He said the road to salvation was narrow and not many find and journey on it, while the broad road is crammed with folks headed to eternal damnation. (Matthew 7:13-14) The former Methodist preacher lady said she was looking forward to burning in hell. She announced that at a gathering of atheists. When she said that they cheered wildly like she had just scored the winning shot. My heart sank. Some might say she got it exactly right and that's good enough for her. Jesus didn't see it that way and neither should we. He came with folks like her on His heart and He died for folks like her and He rose again for folks like her. We can be thankful that we are folks like her and that we need Him just like she does. Today's blog may make us uncomfortable but the reality is just that, the reality. Maybe, just maybe, we can, with a word, a deed, or our testimony help somebody to find that narrow way to Jesus before it is too late. Amen.         ....More later.

No comments: