Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Remembering our Baby Sister on her Birthday!

Kayla with Mom and Dad.
Good Tuesday morning and welcome to our little get together here on May 15, 2012. Today would have been our sister Kayla's 60th birthday. God called her home some 33 years ago but we still remember. Yes. We have not forgotten her winsome personality and her Jesus filled heart. I don't know if you were able to watch that video I sent out of those children on the cancer ward up in Seattle as they danced and sang to a song that said if it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger. (In case you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihGCj5mfCk8) These kids were younger than our Kayla when she was diagnosed with terminal leukemia, however, their atmosphere and their obvious spirit reminded me of our Kayla as she underwent some of the most grueling and debilitating chemo available at that time. I well remember all those listed potential life damaging impacts that could occur from those treatments. That's why that song's theme resonates with me, if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. We camped out on that cancer ward for what seemed like weeks as we sought to support our sister. She was truly our champion as she dealt with what she had been dealt, and she did so with grace, dignity, and a sense of purpose for what she knew was going to be her shorter than expected life. Today, I say thank God for our Kayla because she not only showed us how to live when her world was literally turned upside down, but, she also showed us an example of how a saint faces that time when they will be absent from the body but present with the Lord. May God bless her legacy of faith. Amen.

That photo of Kayla with my mom and dad conjures up many long ago memories. Photos have a way of doing that.The other day I happened upon this particular shot made at our house several years ago. That's our Tiffany holding Brady boy but now she has her own little bundle of Madelyn Joy to hold. Kyleigh is holding Alex and she now has her own car to drive. Brittany is finishing her second year in college. Stefani is wearing her senior class ring. All of these kids have grown and seeing them back then causes memories to flood my heart and mind. Yes, things change over time. The other evening when I was not feeling well, fighting cold-like symptoms, Alex came and sat with me in the recliner. We watched Sponge Bob together. I really don't have a particular interest in Sponge Bob, except for the fact that the fruit flavored snacks that bear his name are pretty good, especially Gary, Sponge Bob's pet snail, that one is the lime flavor and I do believe it is a little more 'limey' than the Dora, or the Scooby's, or the Toy Story, or the others I've tried. But I will tell you this. Alex, who is six, can lift his Poppy's spirits, and I am thankful that all of our grandchildren have done that very same thing, often, in one way or another, and, at one time or another. Even little Madi, our great grand, has begun to warm up to her great grand Poppy. See what I mean? Blessings that come in more flavors than those fruit chewy thingies. What's that? You would be ashamed to talk about eating kid snacks at my age? Yeah. It really bothers me too, especially when I dream of opening a box one day and all of them are lime green. That would be a dream come true, but I do appreciate your concern. I suppose I would say this about that: "If you only knew the half of what it means to be me!"

Back L to R: Fran, Jimmy, JoAnn; The couch: me, Kayla & Donald
Mom and I have really enjoyed me being able to log on to her and dad's computer to help keep things going. I typically change out her background photo from time to time. For Mother's Day I put the one up on her computer of all six of us. Myself and the two older girls are all of the kids who remain here, but we have really great memories of our little brood as we tried to make our way in this difficult world. I know my boys often feel compelled to make a comment about my ears. When they do I can't help but remember that Little Red Riding Hood story. You know. "What big ears you have. The better to hear you, my dear." Well, enough is enough. I found this the other day and I submit it into the record for future reference: "Protruding ears indicate a person who thinks ahead and who is more aware of their surroundings than other people. They may be sensitive, and enjoy humor. Small eared individuals tend to rely on intuition and instinct to help them understand the world, while people with large ears like to lap up information around them from what they can physically see, including gaining knowledge from books and other people." Maybe that will settle it once and for all. The best news of all is how that God loves every person, regardless of how they look. How much does He love them? Enough. Yes, enough to send His one and only Son to die for them. I would say that's a pretty wonderful thing that God did for this big eared boy! Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: