Wednesday, May 16, 2012

'Bean' there, done that, but I still sense trouble brewing!

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday, May 16, 2012. I suppose if I were to do a poll of those who read my blog they would likely come up with coffee as one of my leading topics. Any that answered that way would be 100% correct in their analysis. I do not have a way easily to come up with the total of mentions that refer to coffee in my blogs but I'm sure it would be a significant number. I know you've likely heard plenty of coffee jokes but I have a few that were new to me and I thought you might enjoy them too. "What does coffee say when it is really down and depressed? 'Pour me, Pour me'." The coffee had it out with the filter because he thought the filter put too much of a strain on their relationship. I know you've likely heard the greeting given from one coffee bean to another coffee bean, after having not seen them for a while: "Where you bean, bean?" Why was the coffee happy to be free again. He was tired of being ground-ed. And, here's one for the road, "One morning, a grandmother was surprised to find that her 7-year-old grandson had made her coffee. Smiling, she choked down the worst cup of her life. When she finished, she found three little green plastic Army men at the bottom of her cup. Puzzled, she asked, "Honey, what are these Army men doing in my cup?" Her grandson smiled broadly and answered, "Like it says on TV, Grandma, 'The best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup'."

Just so you know, I have no plans on quitting my day job to go into telling jokes as a career move. What's that? You think that with material like that, that it would be a really good decision to stay put? Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. I think. I do think the so-called 'me generation' has given way to the 'mega me generation'. And, it might just already be multiples of the mega's already occupying the globe. We all come out of the womb with a 'me' problem but it does seem that self absorption has grown by leaps and bounds in today's culture. I remember once hearing a fellow give what was supposed to be a motivational pep talk. His idea was that every individual should look at themselves as Me, Inc. We should then operate our lives as the CEO and plan for and implement programs that help the business, Me, Inc. to grow and prosper. While there may be some merit to self motivating action, that whole deal just didn't sound right to me but it does reflect the view of many, if not most, today. Part of our life in Christ is allowing Him to deal with and get control of the me problem that does tend to monopolize our lives. And, for me, it also helps to be a little older because when folks get to be my age the gray cells begin to be down to a more manageable size. Of course we can still get wound up about some things especially if it relates to pension plans or health care. And, let's face it, there are some perks too. There's not near as much left to learn the hard way. You no longer have to hold in your stomach, no matter who comes in the room, and you actually have learned to enjoy hearing about other people's operations.

You may have noticed that I haven't had much to say about the political world lately. Let me see if I have this right? Our President has been evolving in his understanding of right and wrong, not based on a clear reading of thus says the word of the Lord, but rather, based on conversations with his staff, his wife, and his two young daughters. The Prophet Isaiah said,"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil." (Isaiah 5:20) What the President thought was wrong before, he has now changed his mind about, and, yes, I did hear him quote the Golden Rule as part of his rationale. I read about a caller from Canada who said that his country had taken this same decision and made it law some 8 years ago, and God had not punished them yet." Without thinking, he most likely was on to something when he added the 'yet' part because it could probably be more of a scary reality than he might think. Not much was investigated or looked into about Mr. Obama's past where he admitted drug use, but the Washington Post wrote an extended piece on Mitt Romney's high school days where they contend he may have bullied another student. That was a long time ago but they wanted to make sure that everyone had a chance to know a lot about it. An extensive essay on what may have happened and nothing on drug involvement, even admitted drug involvment? Here's what we need to do in response: Let's all hold hands, stand in a circle and shout out together, DOUBLE STANDARD! America, America, oh how we need a do over in our choosing the directions and destinations we seem bound for. The President said these social issues are bound up in generational viewpoints and religious sensitivity. He may be right. If he is, and the only thing resisting his views are old folks who cling to their Bibles, Lord help this country when we are no longer here. And, that's the way I see it and I am sure there will be more on this and many other topics, later. May God bless. Amen.             .....More later. 

No comments: