Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"God bless America, Land that I love."

Welcome to Wednesday, May 30, 2012. Yesterday was primary election day here in Texas. That's where we the people determine who will represent the major parties in the general election coming up in November. I voted because of it being my duty. It was not because I had some overwhelming excitement about the election or those running. Sorry. I hate to become firmly identified in the apathetic category. But I did vote so I suppose that means something. This election came the day after Memorial Day. Perhaps that was motivation enough even though the candidates generally do not impress me and certainly we've all had our belly full of the endless attack ads and robo-calls. In one night alone we had phone calls from former Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin, Governor Rick Perry, and former Governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee. I expect any day to see the answering machine laying on its side with a final message: Enough is enough! That's not to say the stakes are not high. In the area where we live it's mostly what they call red meat conservative. Therefore, those running do their best to out red meat the other. Charges and counter charges with the Somebody Done Somebody Wrong song playing in the background. I will participate in the process. I will pray for those who are in authority over us. And, I will do so because God has given us this great country and we are blessed to be a citizen. That does imply duties and responsibilities. But, that doesn't mean I want to hear any of those commercials again. Pulezze!

I did watch on CSPAN the Memorial Day ceremonies at Arlington Cemetery and the special commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War held at the Vietnam War Memorial. Both of these were impressive tributes. I was also impressed with our President and felt that American spirit swell up in my heart as these festivities drew the nation's attention to those who have fallen on behalf of us all. ("Red and yellow, black, brown, and white, they are all precious in His sight!") Sure, I picked up on some of the political stuff the President was including in his speeches. I could have done without that but let's face it, that's natural regardless of what party is being represented. It is an election year after all. When it comes to love of country and patriotism I recognize that the blood that has fallen is not typed Republican or Democrat but it carries that proud distinction of American blood. I did not vote for President Obama when he ran in 2008. While I do not know who I will vote for this year, I am even more decided that it will not be for the President. There's just too much division in our worldview, and our sense of societal issues. That doesn't lessen my respect for him one bit. He is our President. He is the Commander in Chief and until he is replaced he deserves our prayers as we have been instructed in God's Holy Word. (Romans Chapter 13; 1st Timothy Chapter 2:1-3) Amen.

What do you do after you have watched the annual Indianapolis 500? That was 500 miles and I thought it was a pretty good race and it was a really good set up. For what? What else, of course? The 600 mile NASCAR race from Charlotte Motor Speedway. I was able to see them both and that answers the question: How did you spend the majority of your Sunday? Not entirely. I actually was up early and at the Church early. Presented my lesson. Heard a wonderful sermon from a missionary we sponsor. Then almost in-between races we attended a birthday celebration at Chuck E. Cheese's. We spent over two hours there. Kids really love that place. We spent over two hours there. The kids really had fun. We spent over two hours there. Everyone were really nice. We spent over two hours there. When you need more tokens you just insert your card into a machine and they come rolling out. How convenient. We spent over two hours there. For all you who are avid fans of the Chuckster, please know that I am just joking. We did have a good time. But I have to be truthful. I was looking for a corner somewhere so that I could take a nap. By the time we got back home the NASCAR race was started but it was early on, and as my youngest son likes to remind me on most Sundays, "Dad, I bet they are still turning left." And, that is exactly what they were doing. My point: Is this a great country or what? I'll say Amen to that! What say you? May God bless until we meet again.       .....More later.

No comments: