Thursday, January 20, 2011

When it's all said and done, it doesn't take much to bring us down!

I suppose every once in a while it is good to be reminded of our fragile human condition. This past Sunday night I began to have a slight irritation in my right eye. It was worse Monday morning and by mid day it was in really bad shape. I struggled with it most of the day and finally made it home where I was exhausted from the experience. Some suggested it might be pink eye and that would certainly be possible, perhaps picked up from so many of the little ones I pick up and greet each Sunday at our local fellowship gathering. On Tuesday morning it was much more bearable and I continued on my normal routine. Many of the folks here at the Company were concerned that I might start an epidemic or something, therefore, I did my best to stay isolated as I continued to improve little by little. It still looks a little swollen today but I am thankful to have made almost a full recovery. One little eye. One big problem. So much pain, agitation, and for me, aggravation. But here I am, it's Thursday, January 20, 2011 and I am able to talk calmly about it and remind us all that while we may think ourselves to be invincible, that can change in a heartbeat! Okay, here's a confession of sorts. I don't like for anything to interfere with my schedule and that includes something like an eye infection. I've been blessed over my nearly 50 years of working to have hardly ever missed time at work due to illness, but I also know that my inherited stubbornness has played a role, and I am not saying that's entirely a good thing. I'm sure I needed to be reminded that it doesn't take much to clog up the works and to get my attention in the process. Bottom line, whether it's diabetes or an unexpected eye infection: I know that I am totally dependent upon God each and every day and I thank Him for even the breath I have in my body.

My wife is the consummate mothering type. She is filled with compassion for those who suffer. Unfortunately for me, when I am ailing, I only want to be left alone. She's learned to do that but it still does not square with her natural instinct. She struggles as she watches me struggle. Maybe it was my grandfather who never seemed to let anything interfere with him doing his duty. Maybe it was my mom working sick to make a way for the six of us. Maybe it's just some of that stubbornness rearing its ugly head. I am trying to adjust. That's right. We are never too old to learn. Being self reliant is a good attribute to a point. When we deny others an opportunity to help us, we can cross the line. I see this clearly, especially for the other guy. In fact, I gave some advice to someone this week who needed help but was struggling with accepting it. I called them up and told them here's the deal: The people who want to help you are able to help you and you need to let them. They responded: But I just don't feel right about accepting it. Me again: You just need to let them do for you what they feel led to do. They responded: Okay, I will, and thanks so much for helping me to work through this. Note to self: Giving advice but not taking it can catch up with you. Hey, I've told you all along that I am a work in progress but at least I know it. Fortunately for all of us who are believers, we have the Master Potter and He is working on us, His clay, to fashion us into a vessel of honor. Maybe next time I will let her kiss my bobo. 

I am well aware that I have not arrived. It's always good to have a grasp on exactly where you are. When we sing, "It's me, It's me, It's me, Oh Lord, Standing in the need of prayer," well, that's exactly right. God has been good in His faithfulness even as I have weebled and wobbled around. I know many who never want to think about the fact that we will not always be around. Do the math. The end of life scenario is currently 100%, that is, in due time. In my case I can see how that I've done about 80% thus far. That means I can look at it two different ways. I can say oh no, I only have 20% left, or, praise the Lord, I have 20% left in order to make a difference. Of course I use those numbers fully realizing that God and God alone is the final arbiter regarding our time here on earth. But it does present the truth reflecting how that time is getting away from us and we need to be aware of it. We had a great lesson Sunday morning and an encouraging message during the worship hour at our meeting place. We enjoyed a good lunch. We took our naps. We did our thing. We enjoyed a time of study and discussion Sunday evening. I had great expectations for Monday. But! The eye deal came along and slapped me up side the head. This is why our dear Brother James, all the way back to the first century, was inspired by God the Holy Spirit to instruct us to never assume what we will and will not be able to accomplish. Here's the verses: Come now, you who say,Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” (James 4:13-15) There you have it, a little plate of soul food to help nourish us for the day. Amen.              ......More later.

No comments: