Friday, January 14, 2011

Unscrambling eggs. Don't try this at home.

Hello Friday, many have been waiting for you with tremendous expectation. And, I add my welcome to those taking the time to peruse my daily attempt to share whatever it is that happens to be resonating in my sphere where at least some level of thought takes place. It is Friday, January 14, 2011 and I am closing the book on the second work week of the new year. I am involved some in ongoing coordination activities on a number of projects and that always has potential for dynamic tension. Some folks think that's a bad thing but when you think about it, getting it done as best we can will always have its moments. I participate in a few raised voice conversations as we make our way through each week but it is never mean spirited. It's more or less the nature of the beast. If it in any way crosses the line we are aware of the boundaries and we make sure to get things back on track. The most important thing is to never take it personal because everyone is just trying to get the job done. I've heard people talk about working at places where never was heard a discouraging word, but I've never been in one of those places, and I'm not sure they actually exist, and even if they do, I'm not at all sure I would want to be there. You are ahead of me. I hear what you are thinking and you just happen to be right. If I showed up at a place like that they would immediately lose their reputation for peace and tranquility. At least I know one person fairly well....... me, myself, and I.

I was thinking about some of the people I saw during the Christmas holidays. I remember one lady who had that big smile that forced her eyes to close when it was triggered. I've known people like that. I can't help but wonder if that is safe. Driving down the road and you think of something funny and suddenly you are driving blind. Her smile was very broad and genuine but I'm not sure that eye closing deal would work for me. I've known a few folks who had a permanent smile fixed on their faces, all the time, 24 by 7, regardless of their mood or disposition. One fellow I'm thinking about was a very upbeat and loving sort of person, therefore, that smile plastered on his face worked for him. I've known others who were not well suited for the smile they wore. I suppose the parents of folks like that had to adjust to it because my mom used to be very clear in her instruction, "You had better wipe that smile off your face!" One of the other things I noticed as I went about my shopping was the amount of sarcasm folks exchange, especially between husbands and wives. Typically, the huge eye roll that accompanies the snide remark is a dead give away. I know my wife and I exchange quite a bit of banter but at times I end up having to explain why what I said was just joking, therefore, my advice is to stay away from any forth and back that ends up requiring an explanation. Here's one I could never use but I read it the other day. Husband: Where would you like to go on our anniversary? Wife: Somewhere I've never been before. Husband: How about the kitchen? See what I mean? Again, I couldn't use that one but it's still kind of funny and if I were to use it the explanations would likely go on for days. Know what I mean, Vern?

Gray cells on a conference call.
Closing out another week here at the old eclectic smorgasbord or should that be the keystroke buffet. It's Friday, what can I say? Some of the gray cells may be on a slow down strike. That's where they show up for work but significantly restrict the rate and quality of the output. Why are they doing this? Maybe they aren't too thrilled with that husband wife joke either. Who knows? I'm looking forward to a busy Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. What do I have planned for Saturday? Not anything for certain but I'm pretty sure based on history that it will be busy. Lord's Day Sunday gives the opportunity for us to gather with other like minded believers to worship our Great God and to encourage each other as well as growing as we are exposed to the truth found in God's Holy Word. I'm always in need of all of the above when it comes to refueling my spiritual tank. May God bless each one. Amen. If things go according to plan, I'll see you next time on this same station, although if the gray cells don't change their way of cooperating, it will be a surprise to us all what might be on the front burner by then. As you can tell, there are times when I don't have a clue.            ...........more later.

No comments: