Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Welcome to my whacked out world!

Good Tuesday morning, it is January 18, 2011 and I bid you welcome as an eyewitness to whatever it is you are about to read. The names have been changed to protect the innocent or something like that. I remember some of that wording from the opening from the old Dragnet series which was both on radio and TV. I still listen to radio episodes now and then out on the internet. I saw that 2007 movie "Meet the Robinsons" on TV the other day. I've always been fascinated with time travel and this particular animated Disney movie had some very weird but compelling themes. The young man had always longed to see his mom who had left him at the door of an orphanage when he was an infant. I can identify to a certain extent because of losing my dad so early in my life. There's so much about him I always wanted to know. At the end of the movie the young boy found out that his real family was the one that counted and I suppose it is fitting because the life we have is the only one we can do anything about, not the one we didn't have. That sounds pretty straight forward, don't you think? At any rate, my grand kids complained because they had seen it several times before and it was on commercial TV and towards the end it was mostly commercials, but it still found a spot in my heart and I am glad I watched it. They replayed it this past Sunday and I tried to get my wife to watch it but she had this battle going on against nap time which is a long running affair within her family, and the nap time won, and she just couldn't hang in there to see how it all ended.

Now you know what kind of exciting lives we live. Her curled up in the recliner taking a nap. And me, getting all emotional over a Disney cartoon. We do have it going on, don't we? This past Saturday we were able to visit my brother Donald at his new location, the apartment he was in the process of moving to last August when he went down with the massive heart attack. I am very pleased to report that he is doing quite well in this "new" home arrangement. His lady friend who takes care of him has her hands full and we will be glad when she will have some in home help which should be up and running soon. My brother's daughter, granddaughter, two grandchildren, and his brand new great grandson were there from California to see him. He has come a long way since being given little or no chance for survival. God has spared him for a reason and we continue to pray that he will eventually recover his mental faculties. I suppose I've talked more to my mom and other family members over the past few months than I had in the many years leading up to his catastrophic event. That's certainly not a bad thing and I know that families do come together in times of challenge and adversity. I saw that happen in my wife's family as they pulled together to help take care of their mom and dad during their final days. Sometimes we all need to be re-reminded of the priority of family and how that God has blessed us with those who bear our blood and our name. Amen.

After visiting my brother we drove on down to Galveston for a dinner date we made last December 18 to celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary. All week long I had salivated over getting ready to enjoy that most delectable seafood dish that I love so much, crabmeat augratin. I had gone to the website and looked it up. I was somewhat taken aback by the new price of that little casserole dish, $24.00! Hurricane Ike hit everything! We've been going to this same eating establishment since the 1970's and I was ready. One problem. I came one day too late. The crab season had just ended. But the website didn't say anything about it! I was not a very happy camper, to say the least. We enjoyed an okay meal and it was all very unremarkable.I don't know how much my disappointment figured into the deal but everything seemed bland and while the service was very professional I was not in any mood to appreciate it. But we did have our meal and I can say the coffee was excellent and the bites off my wife's cheesecake was not too bad but there's no way I would have driven 100 miles for a good cup of coffee. Know what I mean? Next time I will know. Call and check to see if that sizzling chafing dish of mouth watering goodness is available. I had even put my diabetic testing tools on furlough for a few days anticipating some really huge disturbances in my testing diary. But you live and learn and we will not soon forget our postponed anniversary dinner where my wife really enjoyed her meal. Thank you very much! Just joking. You have yourself a great day and Lord willing I'll see you next time here at the meeting place. May God bless each one. Amen.                ......More later.

No comments: