Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rx for a good night's sleep.

Little by little we are getting our stuff back into a manageable routine and that's a good thing, I think, on this Thursday, January 6, 2011. I'll not deny the fact that we have been a little wobbly here and there but it's like riding a bicycle, or at least that's what they say supposedly because once you learn how you never forget. However, I distinctly remember getting on a bicycle a couple of years ago and while I didn't crash or anything, my riding style certainly looked like it needed some refreshed instruction. Last Tuesday was an example day in how one can get themselves ready for a quick descent into what they call the deep sleep mode (REM, Rapid Eye Movement). I was up at 3:20 a.m., and had a long long day at work for some 12 and 1/2 hours. I hurried home, got changed, and then drove through a blinding rainstorm to be with our Crosstrainer Bible Club. I use the word blinding advisedly. It was raining hard but my windshield wipers are completely worn out, therefore, I was pretty much driving blindly at times. Why haven't I replaced them yet? Good question. Most likely it's because I usually always remember them when it is raining. I know. Make myself a note. Thanks. Got to Crosstrainers and had a wonderful 90 minute workout with some 40 kids. I then retraced my blinding rainstorm story one more time but was thankful when I made it home and like the guy warned not to pick up a horseshoe because it was still hot, he responded that he put it down quickly because it didn't take him that long to look at one, well, I visited with my wife for a few minutes but I could hear a trio, (my three feather pillows, collective age, maybe 75 or older), calling out my name, and it didn't take me long to respond. That experience pretty much mirrors what my grandfather used to recommend to any and all who have trouble sleeping. In his case, it was the can to can't approach to life.

The last two weeks have really been intense as it relates to my brother's situation. Yesterday he was scheduled to be discharged from the rehabilitation hospital. He has been given over into his lady friend's care who has been taking care of him for months on a 24 hour basis. They attempted once more to get him approved for a special brain trauma treatment program but it was not approved by the insurance company. The options were essentially to either let her try or to place him in a nursing care facility. She may not be able to hold up under the strain of the care required for him day and night without the assistance of staff that has previously been available. But, in the final analysis, my brother's son, who is acting as the chief decision maker, believed that she deserved a chance because she has been so faithful and is so fearful of him having to be in a nursing home. We are working to make sure there are in home services available to help but believe me, this lady has taken on a tremendous challenge. If she is unable to handle it, even with some in-home service, we will have to revisit this decision again. We fully realize that we are not unique as a family dealing with this situation. Yes, it was a surprise that he would have gone down at age 61, but we know there are so many forced to deal with this process every single day. It has been especially tough on our 86 year old mom but she continues to demonstrate her unwavering faith in God to work all these things out. To put it simply, it has been melt down mode for what seems like a long time and we thank all who pray for him and for us. God has been good to allow us as a family to work through these difficulties and we thank Him for His provision in our time of need.

I could throw out to you some other challenges we are dealing with but let's be clear, challenges are a very present commodity in every person's life, and in every family, therefore, we do our best to seek God and the strength that comes from our helping each other. I was raised up to be independent and to a large degree, self sufficient with a heavy reliance upon the provision and providence of God. We did not emphasize as much our need of others as we make our way through life. That's why at times we all have trouble recognizing we need someone to help us and even tougher, asking for help from others. Don't get me wrong. God's plan calls for His people to be workers that take care of their own business but He also has ordained that we within the family, and within the community of faith family, that we, provide for each other as best we can. Many of us like to think we can do it all on our own. While this can be a good trait where someone wants to demonstrate their willingness to work through their struggles, in far too many, including myself, it can actually become an unhealthy sense of arrogant pride because of our unwillingness to seek out help from those God has placed around us. Finding that balance is not easy, especially for people like me. No. I am not asking for help but you could pray that when I need to, that I will. Meanwhile, we take each day as it comes, knowing that God is with us, and that, my friend, is what sustains us! Amen.             ......More later.

No comments: