Monday, January 17, 2011

If the right one doesn't get you, the left one will!

I did make it back even after I used that husband wife kitchen joke in my blog on Friday. How was I able to survive? I started my explaining early and stayed with it until the cows came home. But, hello out there to all of you who travel here and there within the cyberspace world, it's good to see you on this Monday, January 17, 2011. Last Wednesday I noticed a report stating that 49 out of the 50 states had snow on that particular day. Only one state didn't have any. No. It wasn't Hawaii because they had seven inches on top of their highest volcano. Second guess? Right. Florida. They do not keep official records on this particular statistic but the experts guessed that typically no more than 35% of all states would have snow at the same time. Yes, Virginia, these are some strange times we are living in, for you, for me, for all of us, and for that jolly old elf you had asked about. I received my first piece of Medicare solicitation mail last week. I knew it was coming because this is "my" year. I glanced over it and it had charts and graphs with all kinds of plans, choices, and a variety of pricing options. Even though this mailing came from a private supplemental provider, I could tell from the way it was formatted that it had to be connected in one way or another with our government. I never learned to program the TV remote and this looks just about as complicated. The good news is that I still have a few months to deal with it and I have this feeling that this promotional mail-out was only the first of many coming to a mailbox near my house!

I was recently asked if I knew what all the recently reported dead birds and fish might have to do with a Biblical prediction or prophecy. I didn't have a specific answer but I always think it appropriate to at least consider current events in light of The Scriptures. We need to use good judgment but having a biblical orientation is not a bad way to try and make sense out of this world. I don't know about you but I thought the fireworks theory was kind of iffy but one thing is clear, the birds are here and there, and they are dead. I'm sure Mr. Gore will have something to say soon on the subject. Speaking of troublesome times, one of the things I noticed the other day was an article in Consumer Reports about how food companies are raising their prices while at the same time they are lowering the amounts in the package. It's one thing to pay more for your mac and cheese but how about the most popular brand reducing the packaged weight by 24%. The same company's packaged cheese slices were reduced by 2 slices. The orange juice container went from 64 fluid ounces to 59. There were many others listed and all of them major brands. Talk about your double whammy! Let me see if I have this right? I'm going to increase the cost while downsizing the amount and since the actual product looks very similar, I'm guessing that you won't even notice. But someone did and I'm glad, although, I can't really see what we can do about it, and we've tried some of those knock offs, and you sure don't save anything if you end up throwing the entire package away.  After all, I suppose it comes down to this question: What's a couple of slices of cheese between friends?

Speaking of cost increases. Have you noticed the gasoline prices lately? Some are predicting $5 per gallon within the next few years. I saw a headline from the UK yesterday that said their prices are predicted to reach $9.75 per gallon for unleaded by Easter of this year. Hello? I get a little riled when I cross that $30 fill up and they are looking at nearly $200 to fill a 20 gallon tank. That would prompt some changes in behavior I would suppose. I mention the fuel costs because that's the major culprit being implicated in all the other price increases. Everything requires fuel and while it may not be the entire reason, it makes for a really good excuse to sock it to the consumer. That would be you and I, if you are keeping score. No wonder folks are no longer planning to retire, they can't even afford to think about it, much less do it! I am sounding off a little here but at the same time I am aware that God provides and we are thankful each and every day for His provisions. I can hardly wait to hear our little great grand learning to say the mealtime blessing. "God is good. God is great. Let us thank Him for the food we eat. By His hands we all are fed, give us now our daily bread. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen." That's not only sweet music from the mouth of babes but it is also true and we all should be reminded of it. Now don't go getting all down and out over these price increases because God will make a way. The other night I surprised my wife with a home cooked meal that included a pot of beans along with rice and a pone of cornbread (made from scratch, of course). She and I practically lived on this menu as our staple back when we first started out. It was good to the taste and good to our remembering how special it was to have even that to eat as a young couple making our way. I haven't checked on the price of beans or how many they are putting in the bags these days. I'll add that to my list. You have yourself a wonderful day and may God bless each of you. Amen.            .....More later.

No comments: