Friday, January 21, 2011

China: "Words won't hurt me and sticks and stones are not even on the table!"

Whew! We made it! It's Friday, January 21, 2011 and I am thankful to be up and going. How about you? We as a country have gotten ourselves into a mess with the Chinese, don't you think? They pretty much are the role model for everything we stand against in terms of the lack of freedom, democracy, and human rights, however, they are holding 11% of our outstanding debt along with a threat to not take anymore if we get out of line. But didn't the President use some pretty tough words in describing the abuses going on in China? Talk is one thing. Doing anything about it is another and as that famous line from the movie says, "Show me the money!" We can rattle our sabers all we want to as long as we don't rock the boat. I read something the other day about how the Chinese have offered a financial bailout to the European Union. I don't know if that is one of those flags that might trigger apocalyptic visions of world domination but things like that do present us with grave concerns. I do know these events are related to the end time schedule. What? That's right. They are, and I know this because we have been on the progression of the end times schedule since that time when our Lord and Savior ascended back into heaven and the angels announced to those stunned disciples: They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11)

Is that a doomsday view of where we are? I hope not. I think it rather to be a hope filled view of this life and in looking forward to the Day that will usher in our Savior's return. Meanwhile, you and I might complain about all of this but at the same time we do not want to see anything happen to those unreasonably cheap goods and services. I'm not going to lecture because we all are conditioned to expect the low price, guaranteed. Okay. Enough of that for a Friday. We have other fish to fry, I am sure. Our granddaughter Brittany who is a college student had an accident this past Wednesday that totaled out her car. She is okay and the elderly man involved is also okay. For this we can do nothing but thank God. I was sitting here at my desk when my cell phone rang. It was my eldest son and he told me that she had been in a collision. Just that fast. That's how quickly we move from whistling while we work to praying that God will be with all involved. He told me she was hysterical when she called. No doubt. Her first accident. The elderly gentleman received a citation but she is heartbroken over the loss of her car. This is real life. And as we all know, real life can be tough. This is why we do lean upon the promises God has provided to us. This is why we do seek Him and His protection each and every day. The skeptics say we use God as a crutch because we are weak. Our faith informs us that we lean upon Him because He is our God and He cares. Again, join us in thanking God for His protection in this accident. Amen.

Everyone is buzzing about another round of cold weather headed our way and many complain because it is arriving just in time for the weekend. Hello? It's January folks and we should expect that we typically have cold weather this time of year. I suppose each of us want it our way. Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy. His call to arms for our nation way back on that frigid day in 1961 still resonates today. "My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what can you do for your country." Many are recalling that famous speech. That call to arms reflects a biblical principle in that it calls on us to look beyond ourselves to the needs of others. While this simple statement reflected a collaboration between the new President and his speech writers, it very much stirred our nation. Folks, we need to be stirred again. Not by political rhetoric. Not by our selfish desires. But, we need to hear the call to action from the God who ordained nations to exist. If America is to continue, America needs God. I'm not talking about having it my way in terms of politics. I'm not talking about conservative or liberal. I'm talking about the truth that says blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord. (Psalm 33:12) Where do we as individuals fit into this picture? The same place the Apostle Paul stood one day when he was confronted by the living Lord of the universe and uttered these words, "Lord, what would you have me to do?" Good question. For me, for you, for us all, and for our nation. Amen. See you next time and may the Lord bless and keep each one.                      ......More later.

No comments: