Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's beginning to begin to look like Christmas!

Yours truly from last year along with Amanda, Alex, 
Jimmy Jr. and Alesha
Hello Thursday, November 18, 2010, where it finds me trying to get into the holiday spirit. Thanksgiving? Not really. We are working on it too but since I'm doing my first Santa appearance this coming Saturday, I've been listening to Christmas music as much as I can. I've also been looking through the hot toys list for this season and working out the scheduling and logistics of the appearance. This particular venue is a pretty big deal, therefore, I am a little nervous but also excited at the same time. The kids at our inner city Bible club helped warm me up on Tuesday evening. Many of them had to touch my beard and tell me what they were wanting for Christmas. People in stores are beginning to approach me as well. Last Saturday evening I was in the grocery store when a man more or less ran me down to tell me what he wanted for Christmas. He was talking pretty loud so I assume his wife was the intended audience and his two teenagers were about to have a cow. That's what they used to say a long time ago. I whipped out my Santa card and it only egged him on more. Here's the deal. Now that it really is beginning to look a little more like Christmas, folks are seeing me in a different light. I've not seen anyone lately grab their wallet when I walk by them because they no longer see me as a street person but instead their thoughts are turned to sugar plums dancing around in their noggins.

I know the fellow who plays Santa in that big Super Center. He is one of their older employees and he grows out his beard and does the Santa photo work instead of his usual routine. He lives in the same neighborhood where we live. He is always going on and on about the bookings I have and how he wants me to help him get some outside work. I sent word to him the other day that he had better stay on his toes because people in his own store are chasing me down and calling me Santa. Might as well have some fun with it is how I see it. Our local fellowship of believers is planning an outreach into a nearby apartment complex near our Church property. It will be a fun time for the families there, many of which who are considered to be needy. There will be games, crafts, a moonwalk, refreshments, and of course, photos with Mr. and Mrs. Claus. I am really looking forward to this activity. I have several similar events scheduled and feel blessed to be able to participate in this way. After all, Christmas is about giving as a reflection of the Gift God gave to us. Jesus did say this: "Truly I say to you, Because you did it to the least of these my brothers, you did it to me". We also know we are surrounded by needy folks. I heard this week that the largest food bank in our area is overrun with requests and even though their donations increased 14% this past year, it's not nearly enough to help all those who need assistance. I am reminded that we are blessed to be a blessing. We do thank God for giving to us! Amen.

Meanwhile we have great news from across the pond. Prince William has announced his engagement to Kate Middleton, his long time girlfriend. I actually saw an official statement by the British Prime Minister David Cameron talking about what a wonderful thing this is for the country. One commentator said the news is so bad with the economy, war, terrorism, and draconian cuts in services for the public, folks need a distraction and this wedding might just lift everyone's spirits. Here in the states this announcement was covered like the moon landing. There were all kinds of specials on this son of Princess Diana, on Prince Charles, the man who would be king, and also on this romance story. While I wish them the best I will tell you that our sense of well being cannot be fixed by a prince charming fairy tale. Not in Britain, not in the United States, or any other place in the world. In a world where peace is in extremely short supply, every person needs to know the Prince of Peace, the Savior who came and died for them that they might live eternally in the Father's presence. That's no fairy tale. That is God's truth and He so loved men, women, boys, and girls that He provided a way for them to be His very own, to experience His presence in their individual lives, and to have His Spirit to guide their way through the good times and the bad. Now that's a story that needs to be heralded here, there, and everywhere! Amen.               ......More later.

No comments: