Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I was thinking about something really interesting but it got away from me!

Granddaughter Lexie, Daughter-in-law Mitzi, Granddaughter Kyleigh
I'm doing my best to sing that Gene Autry song, "Back in the Saddle Again." I've actually had people tell me that I was missed while I was away from work. To tell the truth, I'm actually glad they noticed. It was only a little over two days but it does seem longer and I am very happy to be sitting here again, click, clacking away. Some folks tell me that I am a slave to working but I think about my grandfather who worked until he was forced to leave at age 70. By the testimony of others, on his last day, he was still able to work circles around many of his younger crew members. Guess what? Looks like we are soon to be living in the work until you are 70 or older program whether you want to or not, thanks to a messed up economy sitting on top of a messed up government system. I'm not negative about it because I've never contemplated retirement as much as I have moving from one phase to the next. When I move from what I do here, I'll move to what I will be doing next. If I were at home every day I feel like I would attempt to develop a routine of productive activity to mark each day. But, everyone is entitled to seeing it the way they want to and I enjoy those who enjoy retiring early, later, or not at all. If God gives us the strength and the ability to get up and go each day, regardless of the activities we do or do not pursue, then we are blessed beyond measure. I can hear those amens out there because it's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, on this Tuesday, November 9, 2010.

We did some work on my Santa outfit while I was off. The padding situation needed to be improved and we found a work around to add more without it becoming so bulky and heavy. Our little Alexander Benjamin was there while we were doing this work. I went ahead and fixed myself up and tried it on to get a feel for how it would work. He just laughed and laughed while I was modeling. The next afternoon he was laying on the couch and out of nowhere he blurted out, "Poppy, I really love your Santa Claus suit!" Now that's the acclaim Poppy lives for. If Alex says it's cool, then I believe it will be exactly what I'm shooting for. When you are trying to be the jolly old fella's helper and do it as best you can, you need to be asking the ones who really count. For me, that would be the little guys who nervously approach but genuinely love the idea of Santa. If you make it work for them and they are able to have a smile and a dream, then you have succeeded. Making all the parents happy is another matter entirely. That's why its best to try to keep in mind how the joy of Christmas including the Santa fantasy is for kids of all ages, from one to 99, which means we all should enjoy the season instead of making it like everything else in this world, a dog eat dog affair.

I know what you are thinking. The world does not need a sermonizing Santa. I'm just saying and it's only because I have been there and done that. That reminds me. How is it that you bring a crying child to see Santa and you can't get them to stop crying, therefore, you can't get the photo for grandma you had in mind, but somehow it's the fault of Santa and those making the photos? Does that sound just like most of us? It reminds me of the lady who ran into me year before last. She swerved into my lane and clipped the passenger side fender. Crumpled it up pretty bad. She was so apologetic. She said I was in her blind spot. We exchanged insurance information and there I was being the believing citizen I am, I did not call for the police. Big mistake. I assume that when the lady got home her husband found out the police were not involved and suddenly he gave her a new set of facts as to exactly what had happened. It left me wondering what went with that sad and sympathetic person standing on the side of the rode. What was an open and shut case became a he said she said situation but she knows and I know the truth. I do hope this never happens again but if it does I will be demanding a full investigation including crime scene photos and finger printing. Maybe that's a little over the top but you get the gist of what I am saying. A roadside chat with an agreement in principle does not get the car fixed. And, no manner of photo artistry or Santa codling will fix a child who was out of control before he got there. I know they don't go together but there's a point in there somewhere. If you discover what it is, you will get to pass go but in this case there will  be no collection of $200. It may take me a few days to recover my blogging legs here so bear with me and in the meantime, have a blessed day! Amen.                   ......More later.

No comments: