Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I thought tea parties were mostly for little girls and their dolls!

It's Tuesday, the 30th and final day of November 2010 and you will have to agree that I have been more or less quiet lately regarding the political drama unfolding everyday all around us. I did not watch even one episode of Dancing With The Stars (DWTS) but I read some about it from time to time and heard several heated discussions regarding the participants, the voting, and it has obviously caused quite a stir. Bristol Palin, daughter of Sarah Palin, became a finalist in large part because the fan vote kept her in the competition. This led to people accusing her fans of stuffing the ballot box which then led to it being the conservatives or those associated with the Tea Party who support Sarah Palin doing the stuffing because all the critics said that while she was improving each week, she just wasn't a very good dancer. I listened to a debate about this where a democrat party representative was going on and on about how this was corrupt on the part of the conservatives. This fellow was black and when he was asked if it was also wrong for one of the black contestants to go to the black radio stations and solicit black people to unite behind her, he had a very interesting answer. He said that doing this wasn't a big deal at all because the majority of black people don't even watch this show. How funny is that? He was essentially saying it was okay for black people to stuff the ballot box but since they couldn't do much of it anyway, then it shouldn't count. He then went on to say some horrible things about Bristol and her mom. One commentator said since it is a popularity contest and they do allow people to vote by email more than one time, then obviously the person receiving the most votes gets to stay in. That's how it works for everyone. I read the story of the elderly fellow who shot his TV when Bristol was voted in by the fans. I also read about the network having to add security because of the death threats against her. But, here's the news that ABC is gloating over: ratings have never been higher! Nothing like some good old mud slinging politics to add excitement, even to a dance contest. Do we live a great country or what?

I have respect for Sarah Palin and her family. I appreciate her life, her values, and her commitment to the American way of life. However, I just don't get it as her being a viable candidate in representing the Republican party in the run for the presidency. She sounds like that is what she will be trying to do and this is, after all, America, and like the dance contest, if she can get enough of the folks to gain the nomination, she can run. My take is that if she does become the nominee it will almost certainly assure President Obama's reelection. That's not because he's so popular and I will do all I can to see him become a one termer only, however, give credit where credit is due, he is best at campaign style debating, and thus far, Governor Palin looks very weak in that area. Debates count with people because they see folks under pressure and I don't have a good feeling about how she would do against the teleprompter President. But that is just me, and there are already huge numbers of folks falling all over themselves to back her. Not me. My son reminds me all the time that if I do a write in candidate I will be helping reelect President Obama. That may be true but we all have to live with our vote and how we came to decide what to do based on our conscience. I may change my mind by then and it may be a moot point anyway if she doesn't get the nomination but it's okay to throw out ideas because that's how we move issues down the field here in our country.

I did see the President announcing the annual pardon for a couple of turkeys just before the holiday. I thought his remarks were light and humorous. He said something about how the turkeys were not going to have to worry about being shellacked like he had been in the recent election. He also announced a God bless you over the turkeys as well as a God bless America as well. It was a good day for Apple and Cider, the two birds in attendance, but for the rest of us, we continue to have to struggle as these folks play games with our lives, our personal bodies at the airports, our health, and our taxes. When he invites his people, the African American folks to stay with him, to hang in there, and to stay united in their support for him at the ballot box, does that constitute a form of racial tampering? I don't think it does. And, I don't think conservatives voting until their fingers go numb for Bristol Palin is either. I also could care less about her winning or not winning, or who won, or if there will ever be another show or not. It really just doesn't matter to me, but it does give us something to talk about and since that obviously is something I am interested in, I suppose I should be grateful for the material. There does come a time when "Thy will be done." must be the foundation for how we make sense of this whacked out world we live in today. May God bless. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: