Thursday, November 11, 2010

If you live in a free country called the USA, thank a veteran!

Good Thursday morning on this November 11, 2010. This is the official Veteran's Day recognition and I think it appropriate for us all to pause, bow our heads, and thank God for those who have worn the uniform of our country and served honorably to defend our way of life. That tradition lives on today as so many of our young men and women are currently in harm's way. As I visit my brother I am reminded of his twenty years in the Marine Corp. Yesterday was the 235th anniversary of the founding of this elite branch of our armed forces. My brother was a Drill Sergeant for the first half of his career and I have never seen anyone love what he did more than he. He poured his life into many trainees who then served all over the world. Talk about making a difference! He made a contribution to our country and I thank God for him and so many others who have done the same. Nearly every evening we see a funeral procession on the news where another patriot is being laid to rest. Folks, freedom is costly and nothing demonstrates that cost more than to see those flag draped coffins. May God bless every one of them, their families, and all who have stood up and answered the call to go and defend our nation. We had a young man in our service on Sunday that just returned from Iraq. Our congregation stood and cheered as he made a few comments. It's okay to get a lump in your throat when you consider these patriots. It's okay to thank them for their service to our country. God bless them all! Amen and Amen.

Lately I tell people when I mess something up about how that with old people you just have to love them. I got to thinking about that. When did I begin to include myself in that category? Have I lost my ever loving mind or what? Old people. Me? You talking to me? If the shoe fits Cinderella, put it on? Maybe for me it's you are only as old as you act. Or you are only as old as your arteries, or you are only as old as you think. Now the think one would be a huge challenge for me. How about, you are only as old as you sound? Sound? Think? Maybe I should stick with me being only as old as those I hang out with and that brings me to another opportunity to mention my grandchildren. Pretty smooth transition don't you think? Not really? Hey, I do my best but it's like those chocolates, you just never know what you might get. I saw this photo of Alex on his mom's Facebook page and I thought about how our grand kids infuse us with energy and excitement. Alexander Benjamin is, after all, not only a funny little guy but he is the default acting Santa Claus costume judge in our family. Therefore, I am feeling younger already and as soon as I remember where I put whatever it was I was looking for a while ago, I'll be able to get on with this fresh new younger approach. Maybe I will even stop using that phrase, old people you've got to love them. But it seems to work so well. I'll get back to you on that one.

When I am quoting stuff I always favor that person known as unknown because it's just easier to not have to mess with attribution. Here's some highlights accredited to unknown reflecting wisdom: "Take life as it comes."; Take the bull by the horns."; "A grudge is a heavy thing to carry."; "A man who has never made a mistake has never made anything.:"; "A proverb is a short sentence based on long experience."; "Be careful what you wish for."; "You have to take the bitter with the sweet."; "What goes around comes around."; "Common sense is not so common."; "Variety is the spice of life."; "Don't be too quick to judge."; "Unjustly got wealth is like snow sprinkled with hot water."; "Even the best plans go awry."; "Silence is golden."; "Forgive and forget."; "Roll with the punches."; "Go for it."; "Persistence is the key."; and I'll do one more, "Never give advice unasked." Surely there's one in this list that speaks to each of us and most of them in one way or another are based on a biblical principle, therefore, we should always be ready to give credit to the Source of all Truth. And you thought you might not learn anything from reading my blog. For an old guy, I mean for a guy who is only as old as my spine is flexible. Sorry, that's the only new one I could come up with on short notice. I don't know exactly what it means either but it will give me something to contemplate as I think about what I might come up with for tomorrow's episode. Until then, here's something that will do you some good: Take a brief time out, and pause and count up some of those blessings, and then thank God for them. Amen.              ......More later.

No comments: