Monday, April 5, 2010

You were actually off for three days?

Welcome back to Monday, a brand new work week, and a day to get some things accomplished on this April 5, 2010. Today is our very first granddaughter's 22nd birthday. We were able to spend the afternoon with her, her husband, and our little bundle of Madelyn Joy yesterday. We had a most wonderful time celebrating her birthday and feasting and fellowshipping with family on Resurrection Sunday. I was off three days for the weekend. I was off three days for the weekend? I wonder why I do not feel like I was off for three days for the weekend. It was a very busy blur of three days of activities associated with the death of our beloved brother in Christ, Brother Johnny, and all the big breakfast blowout our class did for all the little ones on Sunday morning. Busy, busy, but well worth the time and effort. We don't know how many we fed Sunday morning but I can assure you that place was alive! Those kids are precious and for us older ones, having the privilege of feeding them and being with them was exhilarating. Exhilarating but also draining. However, while it may have been a blur of being here and there, it was a blessed time because we were able to minister to a grieving family and we were able to show the love of Jesus on Resurrection Sunday by serving others.

I woke up this morning to no water. I tried calling the emergency number for the water district, someone answered but immediately disconnected. At any rate, you know what they say, you don't miss your water until the well runs dry. Let's hope that's not what happened but as far as I can tell it is a supply issue so hopefully we can get some response later this morning. There's always something, right? Every day. That's the way life goes, there is always something. Yesterday another Church connected friend went on life support. He is our former pastor's dad and is in very critical condition. At 87 he has had a full life but we never get fully prepared to say goodbye to those we love so dearly. My wife and I went by the hospital last night on our way home from spending the afternoon in our eldest son's home. We went by to let those standing by know that we care and that we are lifting their loved one and them up in prayer. That's how we face each uncertain day. With faith and a prayer for God's help. Some don't think they need any help. Not me. I know all too well how much I need God's help every minute of every day, therefore, we are blessed to be able to call upon Him on behalf of those who are hurting and the needs we have.

Someone asked me recently what my plans were regarding retirement. I will not say that I never think about it in terms of changing my schedule each day, but I don't really have a fix on what that word means as it relates to me personally. First of all, I am enjoying way too much the work I am involved in each day. Secondly, while I complain about burning the candle at both ends, when I think about it, it's pretty neat to have a life busy enough to deal with the candle scenario. I do know that health and a sense of well being plays a major role in this equation, therefore, for the moment I will be content to keep on keeping on with all that God has seen fit to allow me to be a part of at this time in my life. As so many discover every day, that, my friend, is subject to change, because as I love to quote from my granddad's favorite song: "I don't know about tomorrow but I know Who holds my hand." That's why we claim faith as the victory in life. May God help us to embrace the life He has given to us and somehow to reflect glory back to Him as we go about the living of it each and every day! Have a blessed week. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: