Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mele Kalikimaka works for me, how about you?

The last couple of days I've had some sacred Christmas tunes playing in the background on one of the web based ITUNES radio stations. Not a bad way to get some work done, don't you agree? Of course that would seem out of season to many, sort of like the old Bing Crosby tune, Mele Kalikimaka, which is a fine way, according to Bing, to greet you with Merry Christmas in Hawaiian. I started to say yes Virginia there is a Santa but that would remind me that I am still being called Santa by many folks here and there, at work, at home, and Church where little ones aged 1 to 99 like to remember that jolly old elf. But it is a fine day to be reminded of the coming of our Savior into the world to do what had to be done for you and for me. Therefore, if for nothing else, this gives us all something to rejoice over on this Thursday, April 22, 2010. In fact, His coming is what gives us hope, therefore, knowing Him as Savior is the greatest gift we will ever receive, and this causes us to be thankful every day of the year. Now don't go telling me how there might be something wrong with listening to Christmas music in April. We know a lady who has continued to observe the 'no white' after Labor Day rule even though 99.9% don't even know there ever was such a fashion law. Therefore, don't be calling me down for enjoying Christmas music in April and I won't be reporting you to the fashion police for wearing the wrong color in the wrong season. Deal?

One of the things we all learn if we grow to be almost any age at all is how that trouble is no respecter of persons. This economic downturn has crushed millions including some who were previously very wealthy. While those who are poor have suffered immensely, many have joined the ranks of the needy for the first time ever. Tough? It's hard to even imagine how difficult it has been for those who have gone from the pent house to the poor house and who wake up each day with little or no prospects for a return to their previous lifestyle. Eating humble pie is something most of us have had to do but I don't wish it upon anyone, except as God wills for His own good purposes, and even then I pray for mercy and grace to under gird His working. I remember when I left the big company. Before I left I could pick up the telephone and make many things happen. My word meant something. I chose to leave and things changed, rightfully so. But, it still stung whenever those same people who at one time would have jumped in response to my request suddenly couldn't find time to even return my call. I never held that against anyone because that's the way it works out there in the proverbial 'real world'. I read recently about a heiress who has become near destitute due to the destruction of her fortune. According to this article she will soon be close to being homeless in a real sense. Trouble is no respecter of persons.

When we allow ourselves to become so wrapped up in ourselves, our prestige, and our stuff, we lose sight of this universal truth and how it all can be gone in a heartbeat. Therefore, we need God and His provision to give us identity and purpose because it remains regardless of the trouble that comes our way. Some like to joke about how that poor people believe in God because they have so little. Isn't that just like man in his arrogance? If being poor makes it easier for someone to seek and find God, then the poor person is better off than any and all rich people who never find God. In fact, that poor person who is a child of God is assured of eternal riches that transcend any and all of what this world has to offer. I hear people say they know that being wealthy may not be good for them but they would surely like to try it at least once. The writer James in the New Testament was inspired to tell us that it is better to ground our plans for any and all things based on the will of God, because that is best for those who belong to God, without regard to how the world might evaluate station or status. It's finding that place of rest within God's provision that will help us as we too deal with the fact that trouble is no respecter of persons. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: