Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What food do they eat in heaven? I have at least one suggestion and no, it's not angel food cake!

Good Tuesday morning and welcome to my version of the writings of a food critic at large on this April 6, 2010. For those who read my blog you will immediately recognize one of my long term themes: FOOD. I was born into a family where food was one of the focal points of life. I have said for years that our family more or less lived to eat where others would eat to live. That's perhaps an exaggeration but it does reflect the emphasis on quality and taste that characterized our meals. My wife recently made some cornbread dressing and I could have sworn that Granny Mac had showed up to put the finishing touches on it. It is a blessing to have those memories flood in as you partake of something so delicious. My mom picked up that torch from Granny and she handed it down to my wife. I've seen people line up at the dinner on the grounds to get a spoon full of Granny Mac's dressing and she would stand there beaming in knowing that people enjoyed her labor of love. The Bible has much to say about food. The Resurrected Jesus prepared a breakfast meal of charbroiled fish on the shores of Galilee for His followers. Food is a great way to fellowship together.

I can remember in my wife's family how her dad would actually break the cornbread with his hands as a way of symbolizing our breaking bread together. I grew up in a world where Sundays were devoted to worship and family togetherness around the luncheon table. We were not wealthy but we were rich in our desire to enjoy our food and fellowship. Now you might think I am bragging here but folks used to love to be invited into our home for Sunday lunch. Why? We had the best cooks to be found anywhere in our mom and grandmother and they loved to see people eat and enjoy. Sadly, this focus on an event each week to have everyone meet and share is rare for most in our busy world today. I am blessed because my wife received the hand off before this unique trait became an endangered species. Sure, I wish I wasn't diabetic, but even now, I can, in moderation, enjoy the tastes and memories that characterized my upbringing. My wife's family didn't go into being fancy with their presentation but her mom loved variety and I learned to enjoy sitting at her table with so many choices available. Her meals reflected her spirit because she enjoyed a multitude of hobbies and interests.

I was telling one lady about my wife's dressing and she said she could just see my grandmother walking through the door as we chowed down. How good was it? Around our bunch, you usually can see the proof by how fast the container empties. I was doing my part in being all moderation and all of that but when I went back for a moderate second helping, hello? That was a lot of dressing and most of it was gone! While I knew why this had happened it was still a little shocking. My wife still carries enough of her handed down pride that she beams from the inside out when she is able to see her family enjoy the food she prepares. My idea was perhaps they could have given her a little less reason to be beaming while saving a little more dressing for me to consume in a moderate manner, of course. Some day we will experience something called the marriage supper of the Lamb as we reunite with our Savior for a banquet feast. I am left wondering if Granny Mac's dressing will be on the menu. It's certainly on mine. Have a yummy day and I'll see you over in the corner where we moderate eating folks have to sit. May God bless. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: