Monday, April 12, 2010

Words speak but actions tell the real story!

Good Monday morning. I bring you greetings from my world to your world on this April 12, 2010. We never know what a day will bring. Several years ago a man in our Church stood up and shared a burden that was on his heart. A co-worker had been killed on his way to work and this man was impressed to remind us all to never forget to tell those you love that you do, because we never know when it might be the last opportunity to do so. This man recounted how this fellow had gone through his routine just like he did every day but he had no way of knowing that when he drove off that morning he would not be returning. Life is just that uncertain. This is why it is so important for us to respond as God moves, to get up and do what He leads us to do, to say what needs to be said, and go where we need to go, because there will come a day when the time to respond in this life is ended, and we go into eternity leaving behind all that we have done and, yes, all that we should have but didn't, for whatever reason. The Apostle Paul said we should make the most of each and every opportunity we have and the time we are given. Why? Because the days are evil and our life in context is like a puff of smoke that soon fades away. (See Ephesians 5:16 and James 4:14)

My wife and I do try to practice telling each other of our love each morning as I leave for work. We also know that showing love is much more important than speaking love but in combination they are a powerful force within a family. I reject those so-called experts who say we can be damaged if we never hear the words 'I love you'. I believe we can be very much impacted if we grow up where we are not loved and that love is either not shown or withheld. This is based on my own experience. Having lost my dad at age 7 to a sudden illness, I grew up under the influence of my grandfather. If my grandfather ever told anyone that he loved them, I am not aware of it, including my grandmother. That was not his way. Did he really love us? How about showing it in a million different ways through his sacrificial life? Sometimes we can get hung up on formulas and processes without appreciating the truth about God's love and how His love through others can and do make a difference in our lives. Did I ever feel unloved even once growing up? If I did, I have no recollection of it but I do have plenty of illustrations from the family that surrounded me to demonstrate nothing but love.

The bottom line for me is a reminder that while we can mimic words, it is so much harder to live out the truth of those words as we go about our busy lives. The biggest hindrance for most of us has to do with somehow getting over the 'me, myself, and I' preoccupation that dogs our steps from the inside out. That battle has to go on but we can win the victory by seeking God's power to help us deal with this issue. How else could we as husbands be called to love our wives in the same way that Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for the Church? (See Ephesians 5:25) Most of us realize how totally impossible this is from a human, fleshly viewpoint. Good that we see it this way because that is exactly the truth. Only the power of God living in us will ever provide us with the heart and means to accomplish this calling. For many of us we must start with our 'want to' in order to see this need and seek His help in achieving it. Meanwhile, saying it as we part company is still an appropriate thing to do because we never really know what a day will bring. May God help us all to be who He would have us to be for His honor and glory and for the good of those He has placed in our lives. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: