Thursday, April 1, 2010

He lives within my Heart!

We are well into Passion Week as we are contemplating those events that took place more than 2,000 years ago. I have been rereading the Apostle John's inspired texts, (The Gospel of John), and the story never gets old and it never loses its grip on our hearts as we observe God, the very God, in human flesh, giving Himself up on behalf of fallen humanity. It is a sobering thought on this Thursday, April 1, 2010. Just about every form of modern technology is being used to try and discredit the truth of this event. So called historical investigative documentaries run 24x7 as they attempt to challenge the truth claims represented in The Scriptures. Today is called April Fool's Day. The Bible tells us the fool has said in his heart there is no God. (Psalm 14) To deny the truth about Jesus is to deny God since He sent Him as the only offering acceptable for our sins. The critics can do what they do in whatever way they choose, but as for me, I join in singing the chorus of that great testimony song: He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives! He lives! Salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart.

People have asked me how I know this to be true, and in one way or the other I have had to give them the answer found in that song, I know He lives because He does so in my heart and in my life. (Romans 8:16) Yesterday, we lost another great man in our local fellowship with the passing of our dear Brother Johnny. Known as the 'Candy man' because he always greeted everyone with a basket of peppermints and a smile as big as the state of Texas, Brother Johnny's simple and genuine living out of his caring spirit impacted all of us who knew him. He suffered a horrible stroke a couple of months ago and had been fighting an uphill battle since. He and his lovely wife Billie are about the finest folks anyone would ever meet. They are who they are and they are not ashamed. I sent Billie a note and told her that Brother Johnny will always be an inspirational as well as an unforgettable character in my life. He now understands the reality of what personal Resurrection is all about, (1 Corinthians 15), and we thank God for the hope we have in joining him in that same experience one day. May God bless his sweet family as they grieve this temporary separation from their beloved husband, dad, and grandfather. (The God of all comfort, 2 Corinthians 1)

When a death like this occurs in the life of folks who do not believe, The Scriptures tell us they are those who grieve but without hope. (1 Thessalonians 4:13) We are not like that. Why? Because of the reality of what our dear brother experienced at the moment of death when he became absent from his body but present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8) This is not some mind game or crutch. It is the certain destiny of every person who has placed their trust in Jesus as their personal Savior. We all love those wonderful words of promise found in John Chapter 14 where Jesus tells his heartbroken followers about how that He would leave them for now, but in time He would come again for them so that where He is they could also be. What a glorious promise! What words of comfort! In fact, He said these words were spoken so that our hearts would not be troubled. How do I know this is true? He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives! He lives! Salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: