Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It really is His Viewpoint that counts!

Welcome to practical theology for Wednesday, April 7, 2010. I know it is very easy as I write this blog each day to see the world primarily through my own eyes (The View From Here). This is done intentionally for amusement purposes but I am aware that I can actually have a wrong or distorted view from time to time. Therefore, it’s always a struggle to broaden my perspective past the ‘me, myself, and I’ focal point that tends to dominate every person's preoccupation in our day and time. The theory says that people will always do what they perceive to be in their best interest and that’s how the human family works. The choices made, without regard to right or wrong, will turn out to be consistent with what is thought to be best for the individual. While this may be true in a generic sense, objective truth from God’s point of view calls us to a different standard in how we view the world around us.

That standard is presented in His unchangeable Word. Many today spend much of their time trying to find loopholes and gray areas in which they can maneuver to essentially do what it is they want to do. This may work in soothing a person’s conscience to some extent, but we who are called by the name of our Lord cannot get off so lightly. Over the years I’ve had opportunity to advise in a number of different situations that involved issues of ethical behavior or during times when great challenges exist. My reading is that how we react to temptations or difficulties can become the fertile soil that blossoms forth a testimony for God and His truth. All of us are better than we should be at doing some things that we shouldn't. I’ve admitted before that I am really good at getting even. This particular sin comes quite naturally to me, (no doubt handed down from generation to generation all the way back to my original parents, Adam and Eve), and while it may take me time and patience, I have a track record of being able to eventually see the offender dutifully punished. However, the question for me and for us all is what is it that God would have us to do. In my case, the answer to this question leads to a recognized need for God’s power if I am to overcome my natural sinful inclination. If left to my own devices, without God's intervention, I will most often end up doing the wrong thing.

At least I am aware of this fault and can be on the look out for it as I encounter the many issues that present themselves as opportunities to respond in this way. Our enemy is very clever and you can be sure the opportunities will be there to exploit our greatest weaknesses. When the writer of the letter to the Hebrews said we are to run our race without being encumbered with weights, it was the specific ‘sin’ that so easily entangles each person being talked about. Yeah, that’s right. You have an area you are particularly more vulnerable to than others and I do too! Knowing about it before hand allows us to do what the writer instructs, to lay it down or put it aside. When we cast off or overcome this weight, we can then run the race God has given to us in a manner that honors Him in our running. (Read all about it in Hebrews, Chapter 12.)

Knowing our weak areas and seeking God’s help before, during, and always as we seek to honor Him is the most important key to dealing with times where our faith is tested, especially in the area of our testimony and credibility before the Lord. Lately I have been reminded that while we can do little about all the circumstances and situations that come our way, we do have the standing, the resources, and the very present help in our time of need, to respond to these circumstances and situations with grace, and character, therefore, each event becomes a potential mirror that can reflect honor back to Him, instead of defeats that mar our witness and negatively reflect upon the reality of His working in our life. Okay. This is pretty heavy material so early in the morning but I actually put all of this together to let you know that my serious side is still active, and also because we all, especially yours truly, at times, need a good dose of truth to help jump start our daily walk with God. He knows already about the stuff that will challenge us, even today, and He stands ready to see us through to victory in each and every incident, for His honor and glory. Amen. … ......More later.

No comments: