Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We all need someone in the yoke with us to help carry the load!

Okay it's Tuesday, July 21, 2009 and everyone around our area seems to have gotten rain but we are yet to see any. It's kind of tough to hear folks say they measured over two inches in their rain gauge and to have to report our sprinkler is laying on its side from overwork. But as Annie sings, "Tomorrow, Tomorrow, they'll always be Tomorrow!" Maybe today will be 'our' day! Yesterday on my way home I heard the news people on the radio warning people because of the huge increase in accidents associated with wet pavement. On Sunday afternoon when I was driving home from my son's home it was raining so hard you could hardly see but about five miles before I entered our home base area it was as if I had turned the page and it was sunny and sultry. I know, I know, I am beginning to fulfill that cliché that says people always complain about the weather but rarely do they do anything about it. One of the things I told my wife was that we should be thankful for the rain even if it is not falling on our yard. Our entire area needs rain and I thank God for that which He has provided even if I would enjoy a shower showing up at my address, perhaps even today!

Speaking of problems, they are all around us, don't you think? If you don't have that many, tune in to those around you, those on their cell phones, those talking to someone while waiting in line, or perhaps those who obviously have been crying. People are walking here and there and with them they are carrying all kinds of heavy baggage. Cell phones are one of the great inventions of our day. They permit us to stay in constant contact with those we love, to conduct business no matter where we might be, and to deal with emergency situations better than at any other time in the past. However, their unlimited calling plans cause some folks to be on them on an unlimited basis. Some of the stuff you hear! And, often you can actually hear both ends of the conversation because of the sound quality. Getting past the course language which literally saturates dialogue in our world, you would just as soon not know about some of the intimate details that people shout forth and back over their cell phones. Troubles at work, troubles at home, troubles with teens, troubles with friends, and the sound waves are filled up. Oh, there are those calls that are happy calls but often they are drowned out as people brace themselves for all that's coming at them with this economy and all the other issues that load us all up.

It would be great if we could find some relief and like the old Alka Seltzer commercial it would work quickly, "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!" We do need some help in dealing with the load that we have to carry. The great news about this burden bearing feature of life is how that Jesus not only knows firsthand all about what it means to carry a heavy load (How about sweating drops of blood due to the weight of the price that He had to pay?) but He also gave an open invitation for all those who are loaded down with cares and troubles to come to Him for relief. The Bible in Basic English puts His words this way: "Come to me, all you who are troubled and weighted down with care, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and become like me, for I am gentle and without pride, and you will have rest for your souls; For my yoke is good, and the weight I take up is not hard." (Matthew 11:28-30) Growing up I often heard a song sung in our little Church that expressed this thought: "Leave it there, leave it there, take your burden to the Lord and leave it there. If you trust and never doubt He will surely bring you out. Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there." While He may not take the burden away He promised to always be with you to help you to carry whatever load is weighing you down. A former pastor of mine said that life sure is easier when you go through it yoked up with Jesus. Now I may not have received a shower of rain today but I do believe these words from our Savior have brought a shower of blessing, for me, for you, and for all who will hear and respond! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: