Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blogging again, this time for apples!

I never said that everyday would be an award winner but you have to appreciate how bogged down I get at times in my blogging, therefore, this is what I am sending out on this Wednesday, July 29, 2009. I was thinking about a clever blog and wanted to entitle it ‘Blogging for Apples!’, however, I Googled this title and it came up with more than a million hits. The wisest natural born man ever to live, King Solomon, once observed how that nothing is new under the sun. (See Ecclesiastes 1:9) He was speaking in a broad context but he was sure right about my clever plan involving apples! I like to read words put together in phrases that bring a smile. How about you? We all need a smile now and then as we make our journey through this life. I heard someone say that you will never recognize or accept that God is always good by observing the way life unfolds for us all here on the planet. This is true because we live in a world where bad things happen to all of us, and often there seems to be no rhyme or reason. However, in knowing God through His Son, this is how we are able to confirm by His Spirit the truth about His unfailing goodness, all the time, regardless of what happens. Therefore, we should be thankful when we do read or hear something that causes us to smile.

Here are a few sentences I found in different places that are silly, and corny but perhaps one will bring you a smile. “Be good to your kids because some day they will choose your nursing home.” “I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore, I must be perfect.” “Effective diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.” “Why is it that when you dial a wrong number you rarely get a busy signal?” “I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!” “It’s the 99% of all lawyers that give the rest a bad reputation.” “I was happy to find and marry Miss Right but not so happy to find out her first name was Always.” “The more I learn about terrorism, it is the more I understand telemarketing.” “Age is a much too high price to pay for maturity.” “I want to die in my sleep like my uncle, not screaming to the top of their lungs like the other passengers in his car.”

These are just funny phrases. I found some others that were pretty funny but I thought I had been brave enough to use the one wife funny and did not want to risk crossing even further over the line. Solomon is also given credit for collecting the inspired pithy and wise statements found in The Proverbs. One collected verse speaks about how that a proper word spoken in the right circumstances is like apples of gold set in silver. (Proverbs 25:11) A wholesome word of encouragement and one that builds up or brings a smile to another person is of great value, especially in a world where put downs, vulgarities, and hateful speech saturates our dialogue. That would be a good idea for you and I. That is, find someone we can cheer up with a wholesome word or funny phrase to help lift their spirits. It will do them as well as the one bringing that word a whole lot of good! Amen. …..More later.

No comments: