Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Slinging some slang!

Good Wednesday morning and I do hope that you and yours are well on this July 15, 2009. I do try not to be repetitive in the writing of this daily journal but given the limitations of age combined with the loss of signaling, and deteriorated hand and eye coordination all used to get what shows up from somewhere to the keyboard, it's a wonder I don't tell the same story over and over again. As I was driving in this morning I was thinking about not having anything to write about. Therefore, I suppose the thing I will write about is not having anything to write about. That's kind of how this stuff gets splattered on the page. I know we all operate in our own world where phrases and sayings help communicate thoughts and ideas. Americans love their slang that helps add flavor to the menu we use to make our point. I used to hear that I was 'Cruising for a bruising', and it conveyed a message that perhaps I had better put the brakes on my unacceptable behavior. It's no wonder that folks coming to our country have some real issues in trying to unravel our way of slinging out words. When we tell someone not to try and snow us or we encourage them to put the hammer to the floor while driving, well it would be enough to make anyone scratch their noggin.

Sometimes we tell folks their ideas are all wet or that the decision is up for grabs. Confused yet? Probably not, because we live by these slang phrases being slung around all day. Maybe we come away thinking we are all just too flaky to get it right or the effort is pretty 'Mickey Mouse' when you think about it. That's because I am making somewhat of a big stink over these words that sometimes makes one hot under the collar. I mean after all it's okay to help someone get out of a jam and in fact, don't sweat it because we all enjoy receiving a freebie now and then. You have to learn these sayings if you are to escape others thinking you just got off the boat. It can be tiring and you can end up being pooped from the effort of trying not to goof up in sending and receiving good vibes forth and back. We end up not wanting to be bent out of shape but we do want to hide our love handles. Sure, you think using these slang phrases is a piece of cake but it's certainly not a slam dunk for those unfamiliar with the territory.

Okay, enough already. This is what ole Sixty-Plus writes about when he can't think of anything else to write about. I'm not trying to make waves or do my thing in a cheesy manner but after all, it is my gig. Now if you read this blog and end up being bummed or think it rinky-dink, don't worry because I will do my best not to go postal on you. I fear I am drowning in this tidal wave of word play and like the elderly lady on the commercial: I have fallen and I can't get up. Fortunately, they most likely will not throw me into the slammer for being a word junkie or a linguistic couch potato or potatoe if you live in Great Britain or if you happen to be running for Vice President and your name is Dan Quayle. I did have to get myself somewhat hyped-up to use all these fun slang phrases and it has caused me to have a gut feeling that you might just enjoy reaming me out, that is, if you could. Maybe tomorrow we can just move on and I'll find something so amusing you will think it to be a real riot. Until then, pray that I will find something better to run my mouth about! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: