Friday, July 10, 2009

A new way of life does not mean you don't miss the old way!

Made it to Friday and I am thankful to share a few more thoughts on this July 10, 2009. Very soon I will be observing my two-year anniversary of my daily recognition of what Diabetes 2 is all about. I want to be very clear about how thankful to God that mine was caught early and it has been able to be pretty much kept under control. But in my situation it is a permanent fixture that only takes one simple finger prick to remind me anytime I stray from the regimen required to manage its damaging effects. I don’t have to wonder where it came from in my situation. I am 99.9% sure it was not a gift from my ancestors. No, it came from my sixty years of feeding myself down at the proverbial ‘Greasy Spoon Restaurant’. And, my how I loved those sixty years! I was the fellow who when confronted about my poor eating habits would quote from the Bible. I would tell people that in Malachi Chapter 4 God gave a list of the blessings that would one day be provided to His own. One of those said we would grow fat like a stall fed calf. Yeah, and I told people my eating was just practicing up for the fulfillment of that verse.

That fatted calf metaphor has to be taken alongside the entire weight of The Scriptures that give us a template for discipline, balance, and acting according to truth. The truth was known. Greasy cheeseburgers as a part of one’s daily nourishment is a recipe for disaster. I actually know folks that are fellow diabetic strugglers who pretty much have thrown in the towel and continue to pig out just hoping the drugs will give them a little more time. According to the best information I can find this is lunacy because it will not only not work but will hasten consequences that potentially may be very difficult to face. I do battle the daily temptations coming from what I previously called the ‘good life’. My motto used to be ‘I live to eat.’ Now I suppose it is: ‘I control what I eat so I can live’. But I still have it pretty good. I am not food deprived. It is a numbers game and I now pay attention to calorie counting and carbs, my weight, blood pressure, and the all important blood glucose readings. Before I paid attention to whether it should be three or four helpings.

I find myself telling other people about some new snack or food that is supposed to be less harmful than the good stuff and say it’s really not that bad. ‘Not that bad’ is a far cry from the finger licking good world I grew up in. However, while it may seem that I obsess over this issue, I really don’t. I am a very blessed person because I can assure you that even the threat of dire damage would not have given me the commitment needed, especially over time, and this leaves me with only one alternative, and that is to thank God for His grace, mercy, kindness, and His provision during these past two years. I still enjoy some wonderful sampling from the good old days. I still enjoy seeing others enjoy but I also now have an informed concern for those near to me because I do not want to see them have to go through what I have. It has been a challenging new journey that continues each day. I never want to become the reformed smoker who preaches to those who haven’t kicked the habit yet, but I do highly recommend some attention to balance in the area of diet for everyone who reads my blog. Have a great Saturday and be blessed by being one of the first to show up at the local place where God’s people meet on Lord’s Day Sunday. Amen. Meanwhile, I have some work to do on refreshing my memory on the differences between polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated fat, therefore, I’ll check back in on Monday. See ya! ……….More later.

No comments: