Monday, July 20, 2009

Moonwalking through life, one step at a time!

Here we go again with a brand new work week on this Monday, July 20, 2009. Of course today commemorates the 40th anniversary of the moon walk back in 1969. Our eldest was not quite four but we wanted him to see it and make him aware of the historical significance. One would have to say it was an amazing accomplishment and one that melded all Americans together in a sense of shared national pride. It became one of those 'where were you when you saw it?' events in our history. There are a number of those kinds of moments from all our lives where the thing that happened was so momentous that it was permanently affixed to our memory. Even as a kid I remember hearing folks talk about where they were when they first heard about the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I can remember exactly where I was when I received a phone call telling me that my older brother had unexpectedly passed away. I can remember exactly where I was when the intercom at school began broadcasting the news about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. I can remember the very first time I laid eyes on the woman with whom I would spend the rest of my life. One talking head made the comment about how he gets these chills running down his legs when President Obama speaks, well, I can tell you I know what it means to be stopped dead in my tracks on that fateful night when I met her because she was the one!

Every person can identify with a moon landing experience in life. I also have this very vivid recollection of a Saturday night service out at my girlfriend's Church in January of 1964. Her dad was doing his usual preaching loud and long but on that particular night something was coming through to me and it was eating at my heart. It was a wake up call from God and at the end of the service I could do nothing but get myself down that aisle and cry out to God to save me from my sins. No matter how one views all the events in life from their wedding day to the birth of their children, no event has more consequence than when we become a new born child of God. I will readily admit that I have slipped and slided around throughout my sojourn and especially in my living as God would have me to, but nothing can change that eternity altering experience that took place on that cold winter night back in 1964. Now that's the important date on the calendar and one that should cause us to be thankful every single day!

But the calendar rolls on and the events and circumstances accumulate and we continue to mark major event after major event. Yesterday our eldest granddaughter was married in a beautiful ceremony held in the home of our eldest son and his family. It was a first for us as she has presented us with so many firsts. I remember when she was born and she was our only grandchild and my office at the big company was plastered with her photos. One day a lady that had worked in my organization for years told me she wished she had been born as my granddaughter because she had never seen any grandpa so thrilled. Our prayers go with this young couple who will need God's help as they build a life together. My Uncle Waymon has been dealing with a heart scare and my mom has been so very worried about him. He is the youngest of the three surviving children from my grandfather's clan. They are all up in their eighties and they are very close. I thank God for him being able to be home although I know he still has many issues. After the wedding my wife left for Louisiana. This week she and her sister will be teaching a singing school in a small Church near Baton Rouge. They are both natural born singers and have been involved in attending and teaching singing schools for most of their lives. This means they will have a ball together and I will have me, myself, and I to contend with. That's right. Home alone. Home alone, again! Well, there goes the neighborhood, one more time! Have a great work week and may God bless! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: