Friday, July 17, 2009

One more reason for me to be unhappy with President Obama!

It’s Friday, July 17, 2009 and I am a little ticked off. I have written before about my love for baseball as a kid growing up. I was one of those who lived and breathed playing the game. I am not ashamed to admit that I slept with my baseball glove. I had several gloves but the best was a Wilson ‘Al Kaline’ model. He was one of my heroes but perhaps my greatest hero was Stan Musial who played with the St. Louis Cardinals. His consistency, resilience, and ability to deliver under pressure coupled to his impeccable character and integrity made him a giant to a small town fellow like myself. Stan Musial was supposed to be the main attraction for a one of a kind, special tribute last Tuesday evening at the Major League All-Star game. They had one all planned and ready to go BUT our President decided at the last minute to throw out the first pitch and because of security and scheduling concerns that debt owed to an 88 year old living legend had to be reduced to a ride into the stadium on a golf cart to deliver the ball to President Obama. I even made my wife sit and wait so I could share with her my respect for Stan Musial. Let down is an understatement.

Stan the Man retired in 1964 and the 24-time All-Star left the game owning or sharing 29 National League records, 17 Major League records, 9 All-Star records, and nearly all the offensive records for the Cardinals. Last Tuesday evening a sea of cardinal red came prepared to rock the house in saying thanks to one of the greatest to ever wear the uniform. The national audience may have been impressed with the president’s performance but I wasn’t. Even before I knew the details behind what happened I wondered why there wasn’t more attention paid to Mr. Musial. They had originally planned for his tribute to echo that given to Ted Williams 10 years ago at Fenway Park. At that All-Star game Ted came out on the field to be mobbed by the players and it was one of the great moments as the current players, managers, and coaches got to act giddy over greeting what many believe to be the greatest hitter of all time. I was watching it ten years ago and can assure you it was the stuff of legend, you better believe it!

I’m sure the Cardinals can schedule a ‘Stan Musial’ Day but it will not be the same for those of us who would have enjoyed seeing it played out as previously planned. I don’t blame those charged with protecting our President and common sense would dictate caution at a stadium with 50,000 fans present. However, I sure wish he would have chosen to go to Camp David, or perhaps back to Chicago, or maybe even on another one of those boondoggles overseas because him showing up certainly messed up the night for my man and for me. One of the all time clutch hitters and all around good guys will continue to be my hero even if politics and protocol trumped his just recognition. I’m sure many don’t have a clue about any of this and I apologize for belaboring the point, however, you still have Saturday and then Lord’s Day Sunday to look forward to seeing God’s blessings. Until next time, may God bless. Amen. ......more later.

No comments: