Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rain or shine, give glory to God!

Yesterday morning I arrived at my office at 4:45 a.m. Just as I was getting inside the door the thunder began a long drum roll that was like the introduction to something big that was about to happen. Kaboom! Let the light show and rain begin! And, for the next two hours it was creation’s version of Elvis doing ‘Shake, Rattle, and Roll’! The office lights were flickering off and on and occasionally our trailer building office would shake a little but all I could do was thank God for the rain! An additional two more hours of rain and we ended up with an unexpected three plus inches! You see, as I approached the gate to our facilities this morning the last words of my commute prayer went something like this: “Lord, you do allow the rain to fall on the just and the unjust, and you have told us to bring our needs to You, therefore, I am asking that you send us some much needed rain.” Coincidence? It was going to rain anyway, right? Hey, you think about it whatever way you want to, but for me - - I’m just going to thank God for answering that prayer! This is what I am sharing on this Wednesday morning, July 8, 2009.

The lesson I taught last Wednesday evening came from a portion of Psalm 119, (verses 65-72). In that segment, the God inspired Psalmist recounted God’s goodness and faithfulness even when he had gone astray, even when things were not going well, even when others were against him, and even when God had brought chastisement into his life. He was persistent in acknowledging God’s mercy and goodness regardless of his circumstances, in fact, more than this, he was saying that God’s goodness is always in every iota of everything that happens in the life of one of His own. Okay. We can read this. We can look up the words used in the original Hebrew and gain insight into their meaning and nuance. We can even encourage one another with these words. BUT, living out the reality of God’s great goodness in our 24 hour day, regardless of what is happening to us and around us, is a different matter altogether.

What does this have to do with the wonderful rainstorm and light show I was treated to yesterday morning? Just about everything! The Psalmist was informing us that rain or no rain, good times or bad times, and all the in-between times, God is still working His good purpose in us, His very own children. This means I should understand and know that God is exactly the same, yesterday, today, and forever, and my recognition of Him and response to Him should not be conditioned by my feelings, my circumstances, or in how the weather goes. He loves us with a love that sent His Son to die for us and He will always love us and He will always be with us, forever and ever, Amen. Is this difficult to grasp? You better believe it! Is this the truth? 100%. As a child of God be encouraged. If you have not responded to God’s love in salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ, do it today! And may He help us to see life through heaven’s eyes. Amen. …….More later.

No comments: