Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Who we really are today along with our example is what will preach our sermon when we are gone!

Lately I’ve been thinking about some of the folks I’ve been privileged to know in my lifetime. That’s my subject for this last day of the month of March, 2009, Tuesday, the 31st. Perhaps it was the memorial service of one of our fellow Church brothers that I attended last Saturday afternoon that got me to thinking. Or it could be the recent renewal of interest in trying to learn more about our family lineage. It’s most likely a combination of all of the above plus some sense of my own mortality that has caused me to conjure up the mental portraits of people who have been influential in my life. On Saturday while the pastor was giving some examples from the life of this recently departed man, I couldn’t help but wonder what someone would have to say about my life and what examples there might be that could be used to communicate the testimony I will leave behind.

No, I would never believe or promote living a life just so that you can be sure someone will have something good to say about you when you are gone. (You could probably buy something like that!) However, I would totally support living a life that by it’s own story it speaks to what you were all about and the things you attempted to accomplish during your time here on earth. While I could not find the origin of this well recognized phrase, it appears to have come from an old hymn: “Only one life soon will pass, only what’s done for Christ will last.” The truth of this statement borne out from the preponderance of a life’s testimony should be our goal. When I think of those who have been important to me in my life, there are those who have been friends, co-workers, supporters, and even some who have sacrificed on my behalf. While I am eternally grateful for all who have contributed to my life and very much believe God brought me into their sphere for His plan and purpose, those who stand out the most are the ones who very simply lived out a life of faithfulness to their God, their family, and their fellowman.

Hey, I’ve been helped to achieve major accomplishments in the business world. I’ve received great financial rewards because of the support I gained from my superiors. I’ve benefited immensely from those loyal to me and willing to take hits that I should have taken. However, I think about my mom and the difficulties she has faced in her life and the testimony she has maintained for God. I think about her dad, my grandfather, who relentlessly pursued his faith in his own simple way. I think about her mom, my grandmother, who loved God and His Word and read it often. I think about pastors who have prayed for me and with me. I think about those whose spiritual caring trumped their fear of how it might impact our friendship as they came along side at a critical time and intervened and interfered when I was about to make a huge mistake. I think about my wife’s parents and how her dad and I were so very close. I think about my mother-in-law’s tear stained pillow as she prayed each night for all her children including me. Yeah, the financial gains were appreciated along with the good times, the promotions and all the fanfare. But, when I leave this world, I pray that I will leave behind something of substance like those I’m remembering today! You too! May God bless each and every one. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: