Thursday, March 19, 2009

Embracing the perks that come with being a senior citizen.

Here we are again. It’s Thursday, March 19, 2009 and I am thinking about some of the advantages that come from being in the now Sixty-two Plus category of Americans. Yes, friend, there are things to look forward to as you weeble wobble your way towards the golden age where suddenly you begin to actually understand all those commercials targeted at older folks that you used to laugh and make fun of. My eldest son gave me a nice watch a couple of years ago. One day I told him the calendar date was wrong on it but that it didn’t really matter since I couldn’t see it anyway without my reading glasses. He was worked up about it and demanded that I hand over the watch so he could fix the date. He messed with it for a few minutes and finally got the tiny adjustment knob in the right position and fixed the date. He was very proud as he handed it back to me. Now I am happy again. My calendar is correctly set on the watch but I don’t care one way or the other, since I can’t see it anyway!

I’ve noticed that my wife and I are beginning to miss hearing a few of the words here and there being thrown at us in conversations, or while watching television, or listening to the radio. She’s a little worse than me and often asks me what was said. This can be tricky for me since I tend to not be very focused on any one thing at a time. Therefore, I end up quickly processing the visuals that went by, analyzing what was likely the missing information, and then mumbling out something that typically satisfies her question. There are times, however, when I don’t have a clue and have to fess up and take a pass. Of course this can be funny as we both fumble around to remember what we were just talking about that we didn’t hear. It ends up being one of those, “I could have told you had you not asked me.” The cover up is typically way funnier than whatever the original might have been and we both end up laughing. Might as well laugh since we couldn’t remember the other thing anyway.

I’m not close to needing to fill out forms for Medicare or other age related programs but they are a coming attraction and I find myself more and more leaning in when people who have experience begin talking about these issues. I can remember a time whenever retirement, Medicare, Social Security, and time-release arthritis medications were something for folks who mostly spend time in their rocking chairs. Yeah, they slowly but surely are becoming front burner issues. I’ve not become a coupon clipper yet but I think it’s because I saw my wife clip them for years but never use them and that turned me off from even looking. I do at times ask for a discount or lower price if I think it’s warranted. My wife doesn’t care for me doing this but as I often tell her, the Bible says, “You have not because you ask not.” And, after all, they won’t hold it against you because of your age! Is this a great country or what? Have a great day and may God bless each and every one! Amen. …More later.

No comments: